Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1676 - 03/25/02 03:15 PM Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
speed3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westbrook, Maine, US
Ok, I've been checking this Outlaw thing out for a while now. At least the last few months anyway. I really like the company philosophy and believe they make excellent products although I have not experienced it first hand.

I've been planning on upgrading to a new receiver and the 1050 is on the top of the list. It has bothered me that DTS-ES was not included nor DPL II. I found it acceptable since most brands that had these features cost much more $$. In steps the new Onkyo 600 with a 6th channel, DPL II, and DTS-ES.

Obviously, it seems as though the Outlaw has higher sound quality from what I've read. I don't have a rear surround speaker and probably won't for another year so the DTS-ES shouldn't be an issue to me and I can live without that. Most of my listening is music. I don't have an SACD or DVDA player. I would say my listening is 65% music, 25% tv viewing (no digital cable or satellite) and 10% movies.

Please tell me why I should buy the Outlaw. My heart wants me to, but something makes me feel like I would be missing out on something without DPL II. I'll read your responses tomorrow. If you do a good job convincing, I'm going to place my order.

Thanks
Eric

#1677 - 03/25/02 06:33 PM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
It sounds great in Stereo!!!

#1678 - 03/25/02 07:39 PM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Having not heard DPL2 yet to know how much it really brings to the table (reportedly it's a lot for stereo and older pro-logic sources), I can only offer my experience. I listen to music on two-channel, which the 1050 is very good at (Hullguy's not kidding there). If you want good two-channel performace as a first priority, the 1050 is a pretty good place to start. For movies, it's hard to beat (especially if you aren't looking to delve deeply into the emerging 6.1 formats -- although if you do decide to try it, the 1050 does a good job with its "Surround 6.1" for DD 5.1 tracks). For TV viewing, I've switched between two-channel, Pro-Logic, and the "Natural" DSP mode on my 1050. Currently, it's set on Natural, and it works well for us.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart

#1679 - 03/26/02 01:17 AM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
Hi speed3 wait for the NAD T752 with DD,DDEX,DTS,DTS ES,DTS NEO:6,7.1Matrix,ProLogic2,preouts for all 7.1 channels,6 video inputs all S-Video and composite,Component Video on 3 inputs and 1 output,plus it's rated at 80 per channel all channels driven from 20hz to 20khz,over 50 amp's peak current,and soft cliping.MSRP only 899.00 should be out first week of May.Also i would like to let you know,that the sound it's great,as good as the OUTLAW 1050. sssssssssssssssssssmiiiilllllleeee!!!!!!!!

#1680 - 03/26/02 06:38 AM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
j.h2os Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

eurorom - you have a link with more info on that T752?

i am in the same boat speed3. i am approaching the time to upgrade to a 6.1 capable reciever and the 1050 is up there on my list. the onkyo 600 looked promising, but the outlaws huge advantage over that unit is the pre-outs. the 600 has none! that put it right out of the competition for me. my current receiver has no pre-outs, and it is a must for my upgrade. this may not be as important to you, but just thought it was a point to make in support of the 1050...

[This message has been edited by j.h2os (edited March 26, 2002).]

#1681 - 03/26/02 07:27 AM Re: Push Me Over the Edge!!!!!
speed3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westbrook, Maine, US
Man, that NAD sounds sweet. Do you have any more info on it? This is what I've been waiting for Outlaw to come out with. I can definitely wait a couple of more months before purchasing. I'm just hoping that Outlaw's new product debuting "before the MLB All-Star Game" is an update to the 1050. I have a feeling it could be (or maybe it's wishful thinking because it should be) a new receiver. I think the time has come.

I told myself that if the response was overwhelming this morning, I'd order it. I thank you all for your input. I'm just going to wait to see what happens.

j.h2os, I agree with you on the 600's lack of pre-outs. I've been looking at the possibility of getting the 1050, upgrading the amplifiers down the road a year or two(to say, a 770 or similar) and then picking up a nice pre-pro. I also think that the Onkyo receiver may sound too bright with my speakers.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM