Hi Gonk:

First thanks for your intro to HT on your webpage. It's the best I have found on the net and reference often when I need to brushup on the terms. I do have a few questions?

>480i: 480 lines, interlaced. This is the resolution used by most standard definition television. It is also the native video resolution for DVD. >

Why was 480i picked as the number of lines? Was it the best they could do at the time? Why did they decide on Interlace and not pregessive, again was this just a technical problem?

>Converting between film's 24 frames per second and the 60 frames per second of progressive scan video introduces an odd issue:<
I am surprised that film has not adapted a higher frames per second rate? Why didn't film use a 30 Frames per sec like TV did at the time?

Does a CRT TV actually use all 480 lines of resolution? I thought I read somewhere that SD analog TV singnal would use less then 480 where as a standard DVD would use more of the 480 lines. The VHS format somewhere in between??

>720p: 720 lines, progressive scan. Now we are at HD resolution. 720p is the threshold for HDTV.<
How do lines translate to pixels. For example, can the height of one line on an LCD TV be composed of more then 1 Pixel?

Even though a LCD excepts a 1080I input, does it refresh it on the screen painting the Odd lines and then the Even lines or is it done all at once?

Thanks Bob