The OPPO 970 arrived yesterday. Hooked up last night to play with it. My My how the hours pass when your having fun.
Connected the 6ft hdmi cable that came with the player to my 990 via a hdmi to dvi adaptor.
Picture is good and I am happy with that. I do not understand what the issue on picture quality is via a large display, but I have a 8ft screen with a sharp DLP projector and it is as good as that Samsung 841 if not better, and that samsung picture was no slacker with the video. No its not Hi Def but this player is just biding my time untill I get the BluRay/SACD/HdDVD type player to do it all.

Audio connection is optical to the 990 and sacd is via 5.1 connections into the outlaw.
So far my impressions of the audio and sacd is wonderfull. OPPO told me that the audio would shine, and he was correct. Actually I was pretty much blown away as to what I had been missing in upper end Hi frequency, detail and seperation on sacd and cd information compared to that pos samsung's poor audio. This oppo 970 is a great deal and I may actually order a second one as a back up. Yes the cd tray is floppy but is no big deal. I thought that the remote had back light on it, but mine either does not have that or may not be working.
Of course I need more time to get a handle on the players best settings, but so far its a keeper.
Oh I will report in more detail the sacd/dvd-A
soon.
Video=good
Audio=great