Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1504 - 04/19/02 06:55 PM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
The unit has a 2 year warranty and it is transferrable. I bought mine used and 6 months old.

#1505 - 04/21/02 12:07 AM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
br Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: new orleans, la
Hello from a newbie )

I am upgrading my stereo system. Most components were purchased 10-15 years ago. I will keep my Klipsch K-horns, center channel (? 9 years old-it is powered by an old Adcom amp which I will keep), Heresy's (rear surround for current stereo). Most everything else will likely be new (or moderately used). I live in a moderate sized apt in the French Quarter of New Orleans. From other shopping around, the Onkyo 797, as a used item is still somewhat more expensive than a 1050, but the onkyo does offer THX and 6.1 or 7.1. (Onkyo might be changing their product line at this time, with several new models). HK's AVR 520 seems similar to the Onkyo, except for the lack of THX. Refurbs are available from the HK site for under $600.00.

--Does having THX really make that much of a difference?

--For a moderate sized room, is anything beyond 5.1 overkill?

The 1050 does not have component video switching. What does this mean (in layman's English, not audiophile-speak ). Does it really matter?

It does not require much power to drive Klipsch speakers. They are very efficient, although quite directional (small sweet spot). Do I really need to add a separate amp, or again is this likely overkilll?

Would a used 1050 be a good item for me to look for?

Any comments appreciated. I am not in any rush, but if the 1050 seems to be a good choice for me, anyone wishing to sell can contact me a well.

(I just discovered his site, it seems great!)

#1506 - 04/21/02 03:11 AM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Quote:
--Does having THX really make that much of a difference?

If you look around on through the various message threads, you'll see most people don't really think THX adds much of anything but a price premium. Personally, I like it in the media I buy, but not really worried about it in my equipment. For equipment, I just look for what sounds best to my ears. I've had my 1050 for almost a year now and LOVE it.

Quote:
--For a moderate sized room, is anything beyond 5.1 overkill?

IMHO, no. I have a fairly small room for my HT and use the sixth channel. I find it really does add quite nicely to the surround effects.

Quote:
Do I really need to add a separate amp, or again is this likely overkilll?

There are a great number of 1050 owners that use just the 1050 (myself included) and there are many that also use external amps. The choice of which to use seems to be comprised of some combination of what's available to you, what your future plans are, and what you personal tastes happen to be. However, the 1050's rating of 65wpc seems to be almost universally held as underated. Almost every post I've read (and my first hand experience agrees) suggests that the 1050 performs with what seems to be a much higher power rating.

Quote:
Would a used 1050 be a good item for me to look for?

Depends on your budget and how much searching/waiting you're willing to do. Most used 1050's still sell over $400.00 (I think) so it's really up to you. If you buy new from Outlaw, you'll get your full warranty length plus your 30 day money back trial period.

Good luck with your decision!

#1507 - 04/21/02 02:39 PM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
jgregs Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New York, NY USA
I am looking to but a new AV receiver and a friend turned me onto Outlaw . However the 1050 does not have the new PRO LOGIC II which is in all the new model by Onkyo, Yamaha. HK etc. I like to 1050 alot but does the PRO LOGIC II mean that much . I know it has to do with the sound off of DVD.
Any help would be much appriciated.
Thanks
greg

#1508 - 04/21/02 10:29 PM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
br...
As a fellow Klipsch owner, I believe the 1050 will be plenty. They are outrageously efficient speakers, and as Owls Warden said, the 1050 is believed to be conservatively rated at 65W. You'd have to double the power output just to see a 3db increase. I powered my Klipschs' with a H/K AVR 55 (55w x 5) and it was reference level loud in a 19 x 14.5 x 6.9 room. The H/K would strain at peak,ridiculous volume levels, and I had no subwoofer. 65W doesn't "read" like alot of power when you compare alot of the other A/V receivers coming out, but 65W plus Klipsch is alot. Also,IMHO, the sixth or rear center channel does help to complete the soundstage. Helicopters flying overhead disappear behind your head, not off to the sides...bullets being shot from behind you start behind you and pass to the front. If it's a concert DVD, you're in the crowd with people on all sides of you. I don't think you need to get a K-Horn or Heresy for the rear. Look at an SS1, RS3, or SF1 for that channel. They should integrate well with what you currently have. As far as THX, it is a minimum standard that a component has received to carry that certification. The company with THX certification must also pay to display or advertise that their product is THX. The standards set forth are a good idea, but whether a component is THX or not is not a deal breaker for me. In my opinion, the component video switching feature is not a detraction for the 1050. I believe component video should be run directly from the source (DVD player) to the television. But that's just me....

#1509 - 04/22/02 01:48 AM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
br Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: new orleans, la
I really appreciate the advice ) -- and please keep it coming--

for someone like me, getting into this again for the first time in about 10 years, it really makes a difference.

Long ago with my 60 w adcom gfa 535, I was convinced that clean amp'ed sound was more important than the wattage rating on a non clean amp. I lived in Little Rock in the late 80s, and most people raved about MacIntosh (tube) amps for their Klipsch speakers. They were truly awesome. I think I could here the difference. I could not afford the Mac (except as a computer, of course). The Adcom was great and much less expensive. I then bought an integrated receiver/amp/dolby processor. Everything via 1 remote control. It made life easy, but the sound quality was definitely worse-even when using the Adcom just to power up the K horns (due to the less than stellar pre amp, etc) . I do not expect miracles from integrated receiver/amp/dolby processor in the sub $1000 range. Like anyone else, if I am going to spend the money, I would like something nice. My speakers, K horns, LaScala's, and Heresy's will never go out of style. Regardless of what I buy now, it will be passe' soon enough. What ever electronic component changes come down the road over the years to follow, I just hope that what I buy now will still put a smile on face. The 1050 is less expensive than the HK avr 520 or the onkyo 797. The members of this outlaw forum seem to have a deep belief in the quality and wisdom of their purchases. That means a lot to me. I also like the idea of buying from the little guy with a good product, and who helps support stuff like this forum for users. At least I am making some progress in narrowing my choices. Still have to figure out what to get for the dvd mp3 cd player, etc.

Does the 1050 do 6.1 or just 5.1. If 5.1 is the max, how do you "fanagle" it into 6.1 mode?

Is there any point to bi amp'ing the k horns (Is it possible with the 1050 in "regular" 2 speaker stereo mode for music, as opposed to requiring a separate amp like the 750)?

This posting (copied below) seems really interesting, except for my Klipsch Academy Center channel, the other 3 sets were bought used too. I have to admit, I do not quite understand all that he did with his set up. Maybe a picture (or a few) might help. The points on the 6.1 set up are appreciated too. My place has 1 large room and 1 smaller room. That's it. The main room is den, living/dining room, and kitchen. I really DO NOT want 9 million speakers all over the place. Front corner K horn speakers, center channel, and rear/side surrounds (the Heresy's) have worked well in other places I have lived before moving into my new place. I guess I could go for a 6th or 7th speaker elsewhere in the rear, if it/they are small and sound matched to the other speakers. For my bedroom, the La Scala's are way too big, but they are my babies too. To save money, I will just have to live with computer speaker, maybe with 5.1 at about $150, in addition to regular stereo only using the La Scala's.

Thanks again

BR
710080@bellsouth.net
(yes, I still own and use an ancient Mac 7100/80, and a G4 refurb, but at least I am not part of the Dark Force (Microsoft)).

Soundog
Gunslinger posted March 11, 2001 09:37 AM            
I love the 1050 - it sounds great - I have two - one for my Klipsch Heritage setup and another for my Klipsch THX system. In fact, I learned about the Outlaw 1040 from the Klipsch site (like this one). Someone raved about the 1050 saying that it was the closest thing to tube amps (the very expensive choice of some audiophiles) he had found. The difference the 1050 made with the very revealing Heritage speakers vs. my previously owned SONY ES receiver was incediable!

Klipsch Heritage Home Theater

- Outlaw 1050
- 2 Klipschorns (167 lb. ea)*
- 4 Klipsch La Scallas (123 lbs ea)*
- A custom made enclosure for 2 sets* of Klipsch Heritage speaker components w/ midrange and tweeters above and below TV monitor.
* purchased used off of ebay & audioreview sites.
- 2 Klipsch LH10 subs ("stolen" from ebid)
- Sony CX 400 CD changer
- Sony CX 240 CD changer
- Sony CX 210 CD changer
- Nirvis Slink-e computer/changer interface
- Sony XA1ES CD player
- Sony S530D DVD player
- Sony SLV 798HF - VCR
- Sony WE835S Duel Cassette recorder
- Sony AV 2100 programable remote commander
- Panasonic 32" twin tuner TV Monitor with component inputs.
- Recoton optical switcher
- Monster, Acoustic Research & RS Gold cables

Klipsch THX system

- Outlaw 1050
- 4 Klipsch KT-LCR speakers*
- 4 Klipsch Reference RS-3s*
- 2 Klipsch KT-DS*
- 10 Linaeum tweeters
- Klipsch SW-12II subwoofer*
- Klipsch KSW-15 subwoofer*
- Klikpsch SW-10II subwofer*
* All purchased used
- Sony X111ES CD player
- Technics SL-3300 DD turntable w/ Shure cartridges
- Sony SLV-775 VCR
- Sherwood duel cassette recorder
- Sharp 32" PIP/MIS TV Monitor
- Sharp DV-600 DVD player (wwwaiting for Outlaw DVD)
- Monster, Acoustic Research and RS Gold cables.

------------------
SOUNDOG
(HOWARD HALLIGAN)
HFH@EDUCTR.COM

#1510 - 04/30/02 10:32 AM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
Shaster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Miami Florida, USA
Sorry. my 1050 will be moved to the bedroom when the pre-pro comes out!!

------------------
Shaster

#1511 - 04/30/02 06:09 PM Re: Sell me your 1050 ;]
bakkahead Offline
Gunslinger

You can check one out on Ebay, there is currently one with a $385 buy it now price.

[This message has been edited by bakkahead (edited April 30, 2002).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM