Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#14596 - 01/18/05 10:48 PM Isobar 8?
panic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am looking at the Isobar 8 - all I've got right now is Projection TV, Satellite, DVD Player, 7100, and 950. I am looking to add a cd player soon.

What would be best to hook into the filtered slots? I am guessing TV, Satellite, DVD, & 950 - correct? Would I want to exchange the CD player for one of these down the road?

My sub is across the room so it is not a factor.

#14597 - 01/19/05 01:18 AM Re: Isobar 8?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Does that Tripplite have four filtered plugs and four isolated plugs? If so, I'd recommend putting these components into the isolated plugs.

I don't have a 7100 but I'd be inclined to plug a power amp directly into the wall. In my case, I get better performance from the amp that way.

#14598 - 01/19/05 08:01 AM Re: Isobar 8?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Soundhound uses Tripp Lite, so he might be better able to offer some insight into the Isobars. From what I read, it seemed like the outlets were broken into separate banks for internal isolation from one another, and that there were filters between each separate bank. If that were the case, it wouldn't matter which outlets you chose.

#14599 - 01/19/05 02:52 PM Re: Isobar 8?
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

There might be a case where it would matter - but not likely with the components that you have listed.

I recently replaced a bunch of cheap powerbars with some Tripp-Lite products: an ISOBAR4 Ultra and two HT10DBS units.

First off I did so for increased protection reasons. I did not expect to hear or see any difference - and in fact this has been the case.

However I also wanted to remove a 1:1 A/C transformer (ground loop isolating transformer) from my system that was powering (and isolating) all of the wall-warted components - some of which were adding noise to the system.

I plugged all of them into one of the HT10DBS units - which has six outlets spaced for wall-warts. On the HT10DBS I believe that there are five "banks" of two isolated receptacles. So all of the wall-warts ended up being isolated from all of the non-wall-warted components - as they were before. The HT10DBS performed just as well as the transformer had (ie. no noticeable noise.)

While I did not try it, I suspect that if I plugged a very noisy wall-wart into a bank along with my Model 950, that there could have been a noise problem created - since they would not have been isolated from each other - at least not by the HT10DBS.

So the original qustion is a valid one. Assuming that the Isobar 8 has four banks of two isolated receptacles, are there any combinations of types of components from the given list that should not be connected to the same bank? Likely not - would be my guess. However if you do happen to encounter either audio or video noise it would be a simple matter of swapping a plug or two to see if it improves the situation. Perhaps to start you would put the TV and amp on a bank all by themselves - and plug the rest in anywhere else - on the (perhaps flawed) premise that the amp is most likely to cause noise - and the TV the most likely to display it (pardon the pun). However I really don't think it will make a difference.

Please let us know the result since every situation is different.

Jeff Mackwood

#14600 - 01/19/05 03:34 PM Re: Isobar 8?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
Soundhound uses Tripp Lite, so he might be better able to offer some insight into the Isobars.
Well, thanks Gonk. I have Tripplite, too.

What am I? Chopped liver??

laugh (Just kidding)

#14601 - 01/19/05 06:15 PM Re: Isobar 8?
panic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

What does a power conditioner add? Does it just regulate the power? The more I read the more lost I seem to get.

#14602 - 01/19/05 06:35 PM Re: Isobar 8?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
smile - Sorry 'bout that, bob. Didn't remember what you were using. eek

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM