Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#14588 - 01/19/05 10:12 PM Re: Ohms
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
now i am confused.how can that be?

8 ohm with a parallel jumper between them
looks like 2 16 ohm loads to me (or some kind of equivalent)

#14589 - 01/19/05 10:16 PM Re: Ohms
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
They are an 8 ohm load because they are not really "in parallel" - they are divided by the crossover network so that each driver only handles part of the bandwidth. Outside of that driver's bandpass, it's essentially no or little load on the amplifier - the other driver takes over. A very loose description.

#14590 - 01/19/05 10:25 PM Re: Ohms
painttoad Offline
Desperado

so, the way you describe it,they are not really separate?i figured with separate inputs it would be a low pass,and a high pass with no interaction between them, can u understand what i'm thinkin'?

#14591 - 01/19/05 11:48 PM Re: Ohms
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
They are separate but cover different ranges of the audio spectrum, with a bit of overlap at the crossover region. To go deeper would involve more writing than I have time for right now, so I would suggest you do a Google search on crossover networks.

#14592 - 01/20/05 12:08 AM Re: Ohms
painttoad Offline
Desperado

A very loose description. [/QB][/QUOTE]

i think i liked it better,it's gonna get serious now,isn't it?

thanks SH.

#14593 - 01/20/05 12:29 PM Re: Ohms
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Any amplifier that has the "4 ohm" switch is not robust enough to drive that impedance without the reduction in rail voltages that the switch provides, whether seperate or receiver. This is done for cost reasons mostly, as it would be impractical and costly to make a multi-channel power amplifier with the transistor complement, heavy heatsinking, and large power supply of the more robust stereo amps of 20 years ago. Many of those could drive 2 ohms without complaint.
Certainly can't argue with that. The "low impedance" switch has been a staple of receiver power section design for quite a while, and you've written a good summary of the drawbacks involved in that approach. I've even seen some receiver designs that omit the low impedance "4 ohm" switch and simply rate the amps for speaker loads of 6 ohms or higher. (This is something that I noticed when looking at Denon's site this morning - the rear panel of every receiver in their line, from the $400 AVR-1705 up through the $6000 AVR-5805, lists the allowable speaker impedances as 6-16 ohms. I don't know how much factor of safety they have for loads under 6 ohms, but it is indicative of the lighter design approach you're talking about.) It also makes sense that some of the compromises in transistors, power supplies, and heat sinks carry over to separate power amps that pack five or more channels into one chassis. There still seem to be some fairly robust multichannel amp designs available on the market, although I don't know if many of them include the degree of engineering "oomph" found in the amps you're thinking of.

It reminds me of when a friend of mine bought a pair of Martin Logan's a couple years ago. He bought a two-channel Classe amp at the same time, but the speakers came first and his Yamaha receiver couldn't handle the Aeons (a 4 ohm load that could dip below 2 ohms at times), so he had to wait several days after getting the Aeon's before he could listen to them.

#14594 - 01/21/05 08:59 PM Re: Ohms
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i searched around and couldn't find much of exactly what i was looking for but i did find this(i added the quotes)this came from a passive bi-amp statement.

Unlike bi-wiring, """the load to each amplifier is different from that using a single amplifier full range.""" The voltage demands on each amplifier remain the same (each is still fed a full-range input and gives a full-range output), but the current demands are reduced. This of itself can improve the amplifier’s ability to deliver the signal to the speaker.

Be careful when bi-amping that the gain and polarity of each amplifier are the same, otherwise you will compromise the frequency response of the system.

Copyright Disclaimer
Bowers & Wilkins home audio and home cinema speakers 2003

am i gonna get sued?

#14595 - 01/21/05 09:01 PM Re: Ohms
painttoad Offline
Desperado

and i have my tweeter gain backed off a bit

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM