Gonk is on the money!!!

Speaker's are strictly a preference thing. It really is what kind of sound you personally are looking for and what you are willing to spend to attain as close to that sound as possible. If I were you I would check out the reviews for as many models in your price range as possible and audition as many of them as you can. For the internet models, Axiom and Onix in particular, I would try to find someone that has a pair or do the home audition.

I would then narrow it down to 3-5 models that really made an impression on me and then bring 3 music based discs and one DVD film that I am familiar with.

The CD/SACD/DVD-A disc's would be 1 live music, 1 acoustic/Jazz and 1 piano based. The film should be an Action film with lots of effects, explosions and dialogue intermingled in between.

For live, my test disc has always been Xanadu by Rush (track 9 on exit stage left) this paricular track will really test a speakers transperency and its ability to throw a soundstage. It will also give you a good idea of how this speaker will do with voice reproduction, especially with a voice as unique as Geddy Lee's.

For acoustic/jazz I recommend Blue Notes "The Definitive John Coltrane." If you can hear Coltrane actually take a breath before his notes and work the reed on the sax, than your speakers are revealing and the system is clean.

A piano disc is another good way to test a speakers clarity, but more importantly its tonal balance. "For Elise" by Beethoven is a good one for this, also almost any Billy Joel and/or Elton John piano heavy tune will work pretty well.

For the DVD the more Dialogue during explosions the better. I recomend X2 (X Men United), Master and Commander, SW Episode II, Saving Private Ryan, you get the picture.

Have fun my friend and take your time!!!