Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#14447 - 12/21/04 01:00 AM TV Shielding
SuperFi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Grass Valley, CA
I recently moved and I am forced to put my Paradigm monitor 9's close to my television and the closest speaker will cause picture distortion when placed where it needs to be. I called the local TV repair shop and they suggested I go over to Radioshack but the sales guy was clueless. Can anyone help me find what I need? I'm picturing some type of lead sheeting I can use on the inside of my entertainment center. Please help. Thanks-

Happy Holidays!

#14448 - 12/21/04 02:27 PM Re: TV Shielding
analogmusic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Helen, GA
A Tannoy pro monitor was purchased for use as my center channel. It is too heavy to sit on top of my RPTV, so it sits out front. I expected to have the same problem that you describe. A search on the internet and several forums gave the following suggestions:
1 Use a product called MagnaShield. Paradigm uses this to shield their speakers. I could find no source for this product.
2 Cut panel(s) from 12 gauge mild steel, and place between TV and speaker.
I was lucky that my center speaker did not distort the video. I have not tried either method.
Outlaw 950, M200's, LFE-1; Tannoy Westminster (2), GRF Memory (2), System 12 DMT II; Hitachi Ultravision RPTV; Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD; Pioneer DV-6600A; Bix TT w/ Blue Note Tonearm; Dual 1246 TT; Seduction Tube Phono mm Stage

#14449 - 12/21/04 03:26 PM Re: TV Shielding
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Here's a link that might help you a bit - it offers either metal shields (steel, iron, or some lighter weight alloys) or magnets that can be added to the speaker. I would lean toward the steel or alloy shields rather than mess with additional magnets at the speaker. I wouldn't try compensating magnets unless I had the manufacturer's input on it. You don't need lead (which your back will appreciate), but analogmusic's idea of a double layer of 12ga steel sounds like a good approach if you can track some down. There's also this idea of putting a lightweight steel cylindrical shield around the body of the speaker driver inside the speaker to provide shielding. For that matter, you might ask your local Paradigm dealer what Paradigm suggests.

#14450 - 12/21/04 05:04 PM Re: TV Shielding
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
if you need to track down sheet metal,your local body shop supplier should be able to order you some(at a price of course),
let me know how this work as i get a bit of discoloration sometimes from my amp which, corner to corner is 30" away

Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM