Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#14371 - 12/11/04 05:42 PM Which Codecs are being used?
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
I've been bouncing around on this topic for some time now, and have come to a solution - but I'm not sure I am right. So, I thought I would ask all y'all what you think.

Here is the question:

My Denon DVD player has it's own audio codecs. When I play a CD or DVD-DTS using the optical cable, is it true that the Denon Codecs are not being used?

If they are, can someone explain why confused ?

Thanks in advance,

Nert

#14372 - 12/11/04 05:57 PM Re: Which Codecs are being used?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
When you connect a DVD player to your preamp or receiver with digital cables (either optical or coaxial), the digital data stream is conveyed directly to that device and the D/A converter in the preamp/receiver processes the data into the analog domain. Therefore, the codec in your Denon is not being used.

If you do want to use the D/A conversion in the Denon, you need to connect the analog-out (RCA connectors, usually) to the analog-in on the preamp/receiver.

A codec (also known as a D/A or A/D converter) ONLY takes audio from digital to analog or vice-versa. If no conversion takes place in the DVD player (i.e. the digital signal is transferred directly to the preamp), the codec in that player is not used.

#14373 - 12/11/04 06:04 PM Re: Which Codecs are being used?
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
And there you go.

Thank you very much boblinds.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM