Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1398 - 02/26/02 02:10 PM Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
nreyes Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Jupiter - Florida, USA
I went last saturday to my sound provider (Sound components in Miami), and made a comparison between my Outlaw 1050 and a marantz 7200 receiver, using a Marantz DVD player as a source for stereo music, using Paradigm Mini Monitor speakers (the ones I have at home). After listening to several pieces (matching power levels and everything else), we (my wife and I) had to come to the sad conclusion that the Marantz sounds better! More musical, better imaging, more richness in the sound, less bright, more depth, more power ... I guess I'll be making use of my 30 days money back option today ... What do you guys think could have happened?

#1399 - 02/26/02 03:44 PM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
So you took the 1050 with you to the dealer and listened to both receivers running the same system?

#1400 - 02/26/02 03:47 PM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
nreyes Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

exactly that's what I did ...and the result made me a little bit sad ... I really like this company ... but my ears like the marantz better

#1401 - 02/26/02 03:58 PM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Well in that case you should definitely purchase the Marantz. I do not think anything happened. Although it is possible the 1050 was broken, it seems more likely that you and your wife prefer the sound of the Marantz. Enjoy.

#1402 - 02/26/02 04:00 PM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
nreyes Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Certainly it's not broken! I have had it for a month and really liked it ... until I heard the Marantz

#1403 - 02/26/02 04:08 PM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think morphsci probably hit it -- you and your wife prefer the Marantz's sound. Not unheard of in this hobby. It's all about what makes you happy.

------------------
Gonk

#1404 - 02/26/02 08:43 PM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Why I love Outlaw in a jillion words or less.

You guys don’t bash people for different grade/age/quality/price/experience, system choices. Only friendly banter, helpful advice, and best wishes to all. (except for that L word place). I’m so proud.

I’ve heard Marantz termed ‘warmer’, which I often pefer, but when I went to pick up my speaker purchase at a boutique B&M, with the 30K pair of speakers in the front room, he pushed me hard on a Marantz purchase, and took me into demo. I didn’t like it, I liked my old JVC PL better. As I was already determined to wait on an Outlaw demo, and had heard Marantz many times, I didn’t pay attention to speaker/AV model. (I can only assume in a demo room…latest versions) He also dug my heels in from get go with his "sale eez” tactics. He KNEW Outlaw and lied about warranty length etc, one second praising speakers choices using a rag’s recommendation. Two seconds later bashing Outlaw for only being in the rags, and how can you take that recommendation. Funny thing was, the same mag. he was touting the speakers reviewed in, was the same that raved about Outlaw, (and he knew it). Went on to condescendly, tell me Marantz was THE name in audio, (what,- I’ve never heard of Tag, Lexicon, others). The little lady tactics really offended me; the sales man was nice but quite funny. I don’t know much, - but more than he credited.
My sister had installed (by the builder) a new Marantz , B&W setup, in a new playroom over a new 4 car garage, and is very happy, but it didn’t ‘do it’ for my ears, and we’re in the same gene pool!
Isn’t choice grand…

#1405 - 02/26/02 10:37 PM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

Yikes! That is not what I want to hear! I am waiting for my 1050; it is in transit. I was debating between the Marantz 6200 and the Outlaw (about the same price). I decided upon the Outlaw. I read some horror stories about the Marantz, it seemed almost 50/50 for/against; while the Outlaw had much more positive reviews. I too am concerned about the power, I have speakers that are supposedly 90db efficient. According to my calculations the 65 Watts should drive them to a possible 107 0r 109 db, which is more than enough (I prefer about 80-90db listening). The crazy thing is that to achieve another 3db you need 130 Watts (double the power for every 3 db); unless my understanding is wrong.
Oh well, awaiting with great anticipation! Been tracking my order through UPS. It seems to be taking forever! Hope it makes it by friday for my 50th birthday.

#1406 - 02/27/02 03:05 AM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
MCH, I think you'll be happy with your purchase. If not, there's always the 30 day money back. But you'll find most of us around here are quite pleased with our 1050's. Let us know how ya like it once you get all settled in. Welcome to the family!

#1407 - 02/27/02 08:12 AM Re: Sad ... Marantz 7200 sounds better
Zed Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas, 77025
Simple MCH, when you're Outlaw arrives run it for a few days to burn it in and then find a Marantz 6200 or 7200 to compare it to. Let you're happiness guide you.
There are no salesmen here to twist you're arm.

------------------
"Art is not a mirror, but a hammer."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM