Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1362 - 02/20/02 06:27 PM Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

All that is available is B stock. An email from Outlaw tells me that the B stock is not only the returns of the satisfaction guarantee, but also ones that were returned with problems and then refurbished. I get a little leary when I hear refurbished; I'm thinking "patched up". The reason I'm so leary as this is going to be shipped to Canada and there is alot of extras that are billed in when the product is recieved (custom charges and border brokerage fees). So would hate to start a shipping tag game. I know there is no guarantee that a brand new one is 100%; but am I increasing my odds for problems with a B stock unit?
I want to be an Outlaw fan but I don't want to be a desperado.
It also makes me wonder if there may be a stock pile of B stock, and one way of unloading it is to make the regular stock unavailable for a time period. I hate dilemmas. I've been researching a new receiver purchase for awhile now and had my decision made for the Outlaw 1050. Any insights?

#1363 - 02/20/02 07:02 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
charlie Offline
Desperado

Well, my experience has been that the 1050 is a bit odd. I feels like a unit that project managers didn't get much say in but engineers did.

- It's solid.
- It's supremely functional.
- It's a bit, ah, cosmetically challenged.
- Did I mention it's solid?
- It has strange, geekish design choices, like the volume knob that sometimes misses notches.

Being an engineer I like it. I favor function over form (up to a point) and to me the 1050 is a great product. At this price, I wouldn't trade anything the 1050 offers to get a better knob or more bells & whistles.

It is a fine example of a machine that doesn't even want to be all things to everyone but which will make some folks very happy.

Because of this I suspect there are a lot of 'B' models that never had any issues other than those intrinsic to the design itself. I wish I'd saved myself $50 now to tell the truth.

Charlie

#1364 - 02/20/02 07:07 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Quote:
if there may be a stock pile of B stock, and one way of unloading it is to make the regular stock unavailable for a time period.

Anything’s possible under the sun, but watching the Outlaw situation for a while,
A) They have had good press in the rags, increasing demands for the product.
B) My feel is it’s a smallish Co. growing fast, (demands have exceeded their expectations).
C) They are trying to get the 950/770 out the door adding to B).
D) The Chinese New Year.

JMO but I feel your [ ] worry is definitely not a deliberate action on Outlaws part, in fact prob. quite hurtful to their sales at this time, and something they will remedy ASAP.

I have never purchased B stock in audio myself, but we did purchase a Sony Mutiscan 17" as a refurb., when that product was brand new. It's powered up 18hrs daily, and never a blip.
So I would consider reburb. purch. again.
Canada does make it all more complicated to consider. HM2$H

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited February 20, 2002).]

#1365 - 02/20/02 07:31 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
dunphy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Oshawa Ontario Canada
being a fellow Canadian,I'am very happy with the 1050.The added shipping charges kind of took the thrill out of the purchase($178 can),but after i hooked it all up the performance was awesome.Currently I'am trying to have the product distributed in Canada making it easier for us to enjoy the sonic pleasure of Outlaw.Maybe with the support of fellow Canadians this will be a reality.

Regards
Dave Dunphy

#1366 - 02/20/02 07:46 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

Thx for the Canadian reply. How did you have your reciever shipped? I was thinking of going the Parcel Post route as they only charge $5 for border brokerage fees vs UPS's $60. What was the custom/duty charge for the import? Would really appreciate it if you could respond.
thx

#1367 - 02/20/02 08:08 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
dunphy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The following is list of charges for shipping via Ups.Brokerage GST $3.50
Customs GST $56.16
Ontario PST $64.19
Entry prep fee $44.50
Disbursement fee$5.50
COD surcharge $4.00 ????
My total invoice was $178.13.So with the exchange rate and charges it makes you think.The packaging and the condition of the receiver was excellent(double boxed),when you receive the 1050 and listen to it and check the build quality you will want to purchase further product.We need a Canadian distributor,which I'am willing to become.

[This message has been edited by dunphy (edited February 23, 2002).]

#1368 - 02/20/02 08:09 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
dunphy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

sorry should read Canadian Distridutor

#1369 - 02/20/02 08:19 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

Thx for the response Dunphy.
I was expecting worse. I thought the GST and PST were still on top of the $178.

#1370 - 02/21/02 05:43 PM Re: Okay I'm closer to buying one BUT.....!
xjnelson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Had to put my 2 cents in. I purchased both a 1050 and 750 from "b" stock. Had them a month...other than the power cords not being perfectly rolled up could not tell they had been used before. Sound great, did I say they sound great. Saved some $$ also.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM