Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#13362 - 05/30/04 12:54 PM Upcoming 1070 questions?
onethumb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USA
One thing the announcement and the Expo thread didn't cover was the output of the DVI port.

Does anyone happen to know if the video conversion features apply to the DVI output?

In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to attach any and all video inputs (composite, component, S, DVI) and have the receiver output everything to the DVI port.

Anyone who went to the Expo know if that'll be the case? If so, sign me up for at least one unit.

Don

------------------
my smug mug is on smugmug. is yours?

[This message has been edited by onethumb (edited May 30, 2004).]

#13363 - 05/30/04 03:02 PM Re: Upcoming 1070 questions?
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
DON:

I don't know, but I have to doubt it. In order to do what you propose, it isn't simply a matter of conversion, but rather one of taking the incoming analog video signals and encoding them to digital and THEN taking the digital signal and adding the HDCP if it is also being up-scaled from 480i or 480P to 720P or 1080i.

The semiconductor horsepower required to do all of that with decent quality would probably cost the Outlaws (or anyone else, for that matter) AT LEAST $100 in parts cost, probably more. For that reason, I have to doubt that you will see this kind of feature on any receiver or processor under $4K, let alone at the under $1K price the Outlaws have apparently proposed for the 1070.

On the other hand, having DVI switching is neat, and will still likely be very rare this season in products under $2K.

But what do I know, I'm only a dog.

ARF, ARF, says Iggy

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#13364 - 05/30/04 11:46 PM Re: Upcoming 1070 questions?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
from what jt posted, i would say that it will switch dvi in and out but not upconvert to it, rather it will upconvert to component video only. if you really think dvi is that much better than component once it gets switched you are kidding yourself. do a side by side comparison with component and dvi showing an hd signal. i did so with my rptv (hd) and i cant tell a bit of difference. i went with dvi for my hd input only because it freed up a component for other uses.

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#13365 - 05/31/04 01:58 AM Re: Upcoming 1070 questions?
Iggy The Dog Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Dog House
George:

I agree that the 1070 will probably only switch DVI, for the very reasons I stated.

However, there IS a difference between DVI and component, but like many other things, it is dependent on the source. If the source is an ATSC bitstream or other decently "pure" digital signal that hasn't been DAC'd back to analog, the DVI should win out. Again, your mileage may vary based on considerations of original production material, quality of any conversions from digital to analog and back again, the use of any interim (so called "mezzanine" compression) during backhauls, the type of decoder used, and ultimately, the type of display used. (Is it a "pure digital" DLP, PDP, LCD or LCoS, or is it a CRT? That, too, makes a difference.)

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but as a courtesy to others, is there any chance you could try to use capital letters so that your posts are easier to read? When they get long, it's hard to wade through them without the benefit of proper formatting.

But what do I know, I'm only a dog!

ARF, ARF, says Iggy.

ARF, ARF says Iggy

#13366 - 06/15/04 12:21 PM Re: Upcoming 1070 questions?
jbliz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just found out about the 1070, and was checking out the pics over at http://www.sklenar.info/outlaw3.html. Man, that receiver has it all.

Iggy,

Is that receiver really supposed to be under $1000? You have to be kidding me!!!

Does anyone know when it is supposed to be available for purchase?

Thanks,

John

#13367 - 06/15/04 12:57 PM Re: Upcoming 1070 questions?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Supposed to be under $1000 and supposed to be avaialable around the end of the year. That's all we know for now.

#13368 - 06/15/04 05:57 PM Re: Upcoming 1070 questions?
jbliz Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well I'm siked about that receiver. I wish it was out right now. I may have to pick up a Denon 3805 to hold me over until it comes out.

My only gripe with the 1070 is the lack of a firewire input for multichannel audio. However, they did give us bass management through the analog inputs, so I guess I should let it slide a little.

Anyway, I've heard great things about Outlaw products, but this is the first that really appealed to me. I can't wait to hear one.

John

Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM