Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#131 - 06/27/01 08:10 PM Help! More Subwoofer Problems
G_Led Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, MS
Just received the 1050 today. I either

1) Have it set up wrong, or
2) Have a bad unit (either the SW or the 1050)

Played a DVD in DD 5.1, and also used the tuner to try to troubleshoot this problem:

No output to the subwoofer (KLH 120W powered). This is the first time I've used the LFE input on the subwoofer. Worked fine in a satellite config. KLH crossover adjusted to 150hz (max), 1050 also at 150hz crossover (played with 60 - 200hz, but problem remains).

Set up all speakers (Klipsch) as "small" on the 1050, but still no sub output under any of the SW's settings (on/off/auto).

Switched the front speakers back to "large", and still no sub output, though I do get a decent bass response from my front speakers.

Used a different cable, no change. Played w/ settings on SW, no change.

I'm also using the Video Essentials DVD to troubleshoot. I get a distinct left and right surround tone, so I believe I really am receiving a DD 5.1 signal.

Please help!

Thanks, Gabe

[This message has been edited by G_Led (edited June 28, 2001).]

#132 - 07/02/01 01:40 PM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
Bruce Tiller Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR USA
This may be a dumb answer, but are you sure you have set the LFE to "ON" on the receiver?

The LFE icon should appear on the Outlaw display if it is turned ON.

------------------
Bruce Tiller
WT-46807 Toshiba SD-6200
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
Definitive Tech BP2004TL
My DVD list
Outlaw 1050 Receiver
Definitive Tech BP2004TL
My DVD list

#133 - 07/02/01 10:37 PM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
G_Led Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

If Sub ON = LFE ON, then yes. I see the LFE icon.

Thanks, though!

#134 - 07/03/01 05:54 PM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
baristaman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tacoma, WA USA
No,
Sub {ON} = sub on.
Push the speaker config. button until you get to SUB (OFF), select (ON).
That should do the trick.
Trace

#135 - 07/04/01 08:49 AM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
G_Led Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Sorry, that's what I meant. Sub is on. Definitely. Without a doubt.

#136 - 01/30/03 04:05 PM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
FAR Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Did you figure out what's wrong? Is the SW working now? I am planning to use the same SW with my 1050.

#137 - 01/31/03 01:36 AM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Here's a quick guess: What ouput are you using? There's the SW/LFE output on the back and also a preamp sub output. I would think you should be using the SW/LFE output.

I just looked at the KLH home page. It looks like most of their powered subs feature speaker level and line level inputs. Make sure you are using the line level inputs on the sub. Don't use the speaker level and also avoid the LFE input. This will allow the sub to receive the full signal from your 1050.

You may also want to try a crossover point that's at 100Hz or lower. I would believe your speakers should be able to go that low on their own.

Keep your front speakers set to "Small" to enable your subwoofer!

Hope all this helps.

[This message has been edited by Jason J (edited January 31, 2003).]

#138 - 01/31/03 04:04 PM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
Dennis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

This is a known problem and all over the internet A/V chat sites.

Matter of fact...I threw the same problem at Home Theater...and got what I think is the wrong answer. What I think is the correct answer is that the DVD 5.1/SACD outputs are not compatible with the DVD THX bass management system and suffers from a minus 10dB on the LFE channel.

See below

December 10, 2002

Editor,

I have my receiver set up for both 7.1 home theater and a 5.1 SACD using the analog inputs of my B&K receiver.

After untold hours of experimenting, I cannot get the sound levels of the speakers to match up with the two competing bass-management systems. The receiver, of course, has bass management for THX, and the Sony SACD has an internal BM system, which is needed as the receiver has a "straight through" 5.1 analog input.

In the initial receiver setup I adjusted the speakers for equal 75dB sound levels and then when I checked the SACD sound levels (using the similar SACD player's BM system), the subwoofer is about 13dB too low. If I set up the SACD BM first, I get the opposite problem -- the bass volume on the movies is way too high. I've played with changing the speakers to small, large, direct, you name it, doesn't matter.

At first I thought I had a defective Sony SACD and returned it -- but got the same result. A call to Sony tech support ended with the technician blaming the receiver. I called B&K and they said the 5.1 is straight through.

But a trip to my dealer was informative. He has a different receiver for the SACD demo in the showroom (a Sony). We ran through the SACD player's internal BM six-speaker white-noise speaker-level volume settings in the store and when it came around to the subwoofer -- bingo, hardly any sound. Just like my problem at home! So -- whatever I'm doing wrong, my dealer is doing the same thing! Can you shed light on our confusion? I don't think even the Outlaw ICBM can make up for this 13dB bass shortfall.

Dennis Laslo

This is an easy one. The LFE channel, when set to flat in the Sony's bass-management system, is correct when routed through the B&K's analog pass through. The specified 10dB boost (Dolby's LFE specification) in the software you play will compensate, so that what you actually hear is correctly balanced. With movie soundtracks, the LFE is setup to play 10dB louder than the main channels to compensate for the bass output of the other speakers in the system. However, you don't need to set the LFE 10dB louder! When you play back an actual movie this is part of the soundtrack's spec. Set it to flat and listen to a disc and it should all sound correctly balanced....Jeff Fritz

#139 - 01/31/03 04:26 PM Re: Help! More Subwoofer Problems
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
That's an interesting problem...but I don't think it's related to the problems that G_Led is having. I don't believe he's getting ANY signal to his subwoofer.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM