Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:
... a product is not truly obsolete until it can no longer perform the tasks you require. With the features present and at its current price point, there is still an argument to be made for the 950 as the pre/pro part of a separates duo.
... is the built-in parametric EQ in some of the newer receivers merely the latest must-have that the industry is beginning to include just to remain leading edge, or is the built-in parametric EQ implemented in such a fashion to be a real and genuine benefit? ... But I’m leery of a purported solution that would lull people into believing that a very simplified solution will be the answer to a more complex situation, and that I should be happy to pay more, or more often, for something that may be of no real help at all.

I share your concerns about the true value of some features included in the latest and greatest A/V gear. When effective and well-developed audio technologies such as parametric EQ are included in a receiver, it is worth taking a look.

The Denon AVR 3805 promotes it's 8 band PEQ as part of it's Auto Setup/Room EQ function (see below). The detail specs describe frequency centers, which are not adjustable, and that each set frequency is one octave apart. I don't see anything in the specs that indicate an adjustable Q value (boost/cut bandwidth), so my guess is that is not part of Denon's PEQ feature set. If so, this is really nothing more than an 8 band graphic equalizer, and of little or no value in room correction. In fact, this feature would likely do more harm than good when used for Room EQ. And it cannot be used to remedy bass response issues (room/speaker interaction) which is one of the principal uses of PEQ's. Fortunately, according to Denon, it can be disabled in favor of "traditional equalization methods".

A watered down version of EQ that is so far from what most would expect from something described as a "parametric equalizer" is something to be leery of. This is the sort of "feature marketing scheme" that the Outlaws wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole. The "spin" machine keeps going round and round.

The Denon Description of AVR3805
Auto Setup/Room EQ:
The receiver is equipped with an Auto Setup and Room Equalization function, to achieve the most ideal sound field for your room. With the optional DM-S305 microphone (item # 033DMS305) placed at the listening position, the 32-point DSP automatically and accurately analyzes, adjusts and sets the speaker configurations of your system. The receiver also analyzes and adjusts the frequency response of the speakers to the room with an 8-band parametric equalizer. You can also manually adjust the 8-band equalizer from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB steps at 63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz and 8kHz.