Jeff and Soundhound:

I really think you both blew your reply on this one. First there are numerous HT cases where using a receiver with a separate power amp can make sense and can be an acceptable alternative to a separate pre-pro. As an example close to home, even after the 950 came out, the Outlaws still promoted using the 1050 as a prepro for the 750. They continued to do so until the 1050 was proven to be unable to fully support DD-EX.

Whether the 950 is superior to a given receiver in this configuration is a question for a listening test. It shouldn't be treated as dogma.

On the personal side, I found having a receiver with pre-outs was an easy way to implement HT as I already had a high quality 2ch amp to power my mains. Currently, I use the 1050 (with its 65 wpc 3ch driven) as a pre-pro and center, surround speaker amp. I have considered getting another used power amp or a 200m to off load the center channel. If I found a great deal on a used 5 or 7 ch amp, I would have no reluctance to stop using the 1050's amp section entirely.

When it comes time to upgrade, I plan on looking at the total cost, and my speaker configuration. I may once again make the decision that it is preferrable to go with a receiver over complete separates. I am certainly open to the possibity that I might find a receiver whose sound quality/function set is superior to a 3 or 4 year old pre-pro (especially a quirky one).
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra