I can at least understand why some would opt for a receiver over separates, since I almost make that choice myself a few years ago. I was looking for features at the time (including a large number of inputs etc.) to step up from a Denon Pro Logic integrated amp that I was using. What I really wanted was all of the features that the new receivers of the day were offering - without the power amp sections, since I already had enough channels of power amps kicking around. I contacted Denon and Yamaha and others and none of them had any plans for a pre-pro matching their receivers - with but few exceptions. Since I also liked what Marantz' receivers had to offer, and because they did sell a fully-loaded pre-pro with features to match, I went that route. A couple of years later I bought a 950 (again based on its additional features) - and have never regretted it. But I was at least tempted to go the other way, way back when.

Mind you having both a receiver AND separate power amps would be just plain goofy. Either - or. Not both.

Jeff Mackwood