Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#12938 - 05/09/04 10:23 PM calibration CDs/DVDs
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, MO, USA
Is there one calibration disc that gives me most everything I need to calibrate audio and video for multichannel SACD/DVD-A/5.1? I hear alot of support for AVIA but I know there are others including one from Guide to Home Theater. Thanks for your opinions.

#12939 - 05/09/04 11:07 PM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

I should be more specific. I want to calibrate 2 channel with and without a sub, 5.1 DVDs and soon will want to include SACDs and DVD-As. Previous posts are somewhat dated on my search and I am looking for any new information about AVIA, VE, or Sound and Vision. Thanks.

#12940 - 05/10/04 12:02 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Video Essentials has been discontinued for several years, and after using my copy today I remembered how quirky the interface could be when you want to just do one thing. Its replacement - Digital Video Essentials (DVE) - finally came out last year, and from what I've heard it has a better interface. I wouldn't recommend picking up a used Video Essentials disc anymore, but DVE is the newest and may be the best bet. Others here may have some good input on AVIA, though.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#12941 - 05/10/04 08:40 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
DollarBill Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Durham, CT
Chesky's Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler and 5.1 Setup Disc has the advantage of having Dolby Digital and DVD-A setup tracks. If you can set your DVD player to audio or video, you'll be able to calibrate both signal paths. It has a stereo track as well. It doesn't have a "2.1" track (stereo and sub), but it's full range and your sub will be derived from your crossover settings.

Check out http://www.chesky.com

AIX has a similar disc.

#12942 - 05/10/04 10:45 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

I agree with Gonk. VE had a user-hostile (bordering on user-viscious) menu structure. DVE is much improved. I've used DVE since it came out. It's got some nice features - especially on the audio side. The demo material in particular is almost worth the price of admission.

However for everyday level calibrations I find that using my 950's menu / signal is all that I need. Some would argue that it's better to calibrate all the way from the source (ie. DVD) but I've not found any real difference. With the 950 and a RS meter, it only takes a few minutes to get great results.

Jeff Mackwood

#12943 - 05/10/04 11:21 AM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
seems like i have used avia and it doesnt offer support for dvd-a, etc. or at least the version that i had didnt. digital video essentials is typically viewed as cream of the crop, but i have not used it seeing as i was only interesting in calibrating my video and avia did a fine job for that. now that i have my denon 3805 i dont have to bother much with setting up the audio, unless i merely want to tinker.

#12944 - 05/10/04 01:33 PM Re: calibration CDs/DVDs
tgrisham Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you to all for your responses. Like most things, I will have to see what works for me, but you've given me great information. Thanks again.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 280 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM