Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1281 - 02/14/02 06:47 PM Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States, Louisiana
Well, I'm still looking around for a sub, since the duel Cerwin Vega LW-15 and RL-28W sub combo went out the window. I was checking out someone's idea to get a sub kit and build the sub myself. So I ask you if I was to buy one of these so called subwoofer kits could I make a decent sounding system? I was looking at a parts express set up, 15 dvc active subwoofer system http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=14733&CATID=48 , which does look like it would be a good sounding subwoofer. However like I said I have no idea how these subwoofers kits should sound. Also I'm thinking about getting the passive dvc subwoofer system http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7 .
Since I have a $600 budget I could go with the passive setup and get parts express best subwoofer plate amp they sell which is a 250 watt class d plate amp http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=9389&CATID=43 .

Well, here is my idea for a subwoofer kit, but like I said I don't know if I'm better off getting one of these or should I go with buying a built subwoofer from a company?

Which one do you think I should do?

Thanx for reading and for the help,

Chris

#1282 - 02/14/02 07:08 PM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Chris,

Just curious - how are your woodshop skills? What sort of tools are available to you? If you want REALLY squeeze the most out of your budget there is a third route to consider.

Charlie
- Evil Speaker Builder at Large.

#1283 - 02/14/02 08:17 PM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

I can build a speaker box if that is what you mean, I have built speaker boxes for mobile audio speakers and mobile audio subwoofers before.

Chris

#1284 - 02/14/02 08:31 PM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Here's my email address.

charlie@bgtree.com

Charlie

#1285 - 02/14/02 08:36 PM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Charlie why would I want your email address? Please enlighten me to why you posted your email address.

Chris

#1286 - 02/15/02 01:07 AM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Just in case you wanted to take what could turn into a long discussion offline. It's your call. Some folks prefer email.

Charlie

#1287 - 02/15/02 10:14 AM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Ok I took my own recommendation and ordered the 25-31CS and S700 amp from SVS. Realizing how many "small projects" I have on the list around here, I decided it would take me a while to build two fronts, a sub, and some form of sub-enclosure for the car, so I bought the sub.

Ok now to start building those front speaker cabinets...

Btw Thenotsonewguy, if you are at all interested in the DIY approach, Charlie has lots of info and is very helpful (thanks for the info, suggestions, etc Charlie!).

#1288 - 02/15/02 12:34 PM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

I was wondering if you could use svs amps to power other things other than a svs subwoofer. The S700 would put out more power and I could even use it on a second sub if I got one in the not so decent future.

#1289 - 02/15/02 12:51 PM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You certainly could. You could pick up any of the subs SVS sells and use it for a DIY sub or some other passive sub (or regular speakers, for that matter, although I don't know if they are as well suited to full-range work -- don't know a lot about them).

------------------
Gonk

#1290 - 02/15/02 08:18 PM Re: Help, build your own subwoofer. Good idea or not such a good idea?
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Ok Charlie what would you suggest if I go with a DIY project? I'm looking for something loud and can go kind of low and as you already know I have about a $600 budget. Quality is not to big of an issue, remember all my speakers are Cerwin Vega. If this does turn into a long discussion then I will start sending emails but as for now this will do.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM