you could get yourself a dB calibration meter and test it out. i have just recently put my sub on a stand, i would say deisolation platform, but i made it custom for my sub so stand it is :-); and i have noticed a little less bass. now this could be because i (or the sig. other) adjusted a knob accidentally, etc. or i dont have it in exactly the same spot, but as i have to make some minor adjustments to the stand, i will test my theory out. even if it does sound a little thin, i did save it from possible water damage since our water heater just crapped out and water spilled out during its replacement right where my sub would have been about 1/4" off the floor. i still dont see why velodyne put on these cheap plastic over-sized thumbtacks on their top sub (well top two years ago), however i do see now that they have provided feet. my stand/platform is pretty spiffy and it cost about $10, and looks like about $300. well to answer your question about placement, i would put it where it sounds best and vibrates the room the least. obviously never by a door, window, or hallway if possible.

also, i needed a stand for height adjustability more than i needed it for deisolation. our flooring is pretty out-of-level in some spots and was where my sub is, so i needed to be able to level it, hence the stand. most subs are magnetically shielded these days.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited March 31, 2004).]