Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
i further think that people on this forum are primarily looking for value, hence the niche for outlaw audio, and do not want to constantly replace their gear. we all know that things will advance, rendering our equipment obsolete, but having it last 5 years instead of 2 is an achievable goal.

That statement seems to contradict what you said previously. If you don't want to "constantly replace your gear" and have "it last 5 years instead of 2," I would think you would want to buy the higher end equipment. Inexpensive components can work as well initially but can be also more prone to breaking down due to their lesser build quality and shortcuts taken to make them meet their price point. If you're looking for a durable player, buying the cheapest player out there is not the best idea.

Also, I think some of the above posts have pointed out that in the range from $500 to $1000, you can have the higher quality player that does everything you need it to while also getting a player that will last the 5 years or so till HD-DVD comes out. Going above that price point does bring in the point of diminishing returns but that is for the end user to decide.