Hi all,

Here is some additional information concerning my investigation of the auto turn-on problem with the PE 1000w plate amp.

Thanks for your responses. I originally set the plate amp gain a "5" and adjusted the 950 pre/pro subwoofer output to -5db to achieve a +75db SPL when the 950's volume control was set to the reference level of "0". This combination will reliably cause the plate amp to go from the standby mode to the operate mode when I run the system at home theater sound levels. However, when I listen to music at a much lower level, the plate amp will not turn on unless I raise the subwoofer output of the 950 pre/pro to around +8db with +10db being the maximum. I also did an experiment to determine the affect of the plate amp gain control on the auto-on function. I set the plate amp gain to around "3" and then readjusted the subwoofer output of the 950 pre/pro to 0db to achieve the +75db SPL at the "0" volume reference level. As usual, the plate amp would turn on at home theater volume levels, but would not turn on at music listen levels. While listening to some music, I then began to increase the plate amp gain control beyond the starting "3" position while leaving the the 950 pre/pro subwoofer output at 0db. Low and behold, the plate amp turned on at a gain control setting of between "5" and "6". This little experiment indicates that the PE 1000w plate amp auto turn-on feature is dependant not only on the level of the LFE input signal from the preamp, but also on the level of the plate amp gain setting. Because of this anomaly, I doubt that it will be possible to achieve a combination of plate amp gain and preamp LFE output that will accomodate both home theater and music level volumes and result in the plate amp turning on automatically.
At this point in time, I would not recommend buying the PE 1000w plate amp until PE resolves this auto turn-on issue. It could be that I have a malfunctioning plate amp as PE advertises that the plate amp will turn-on if it receives a signal greater than 3mv and I believe that my preamp is putting out a LFE signal greater than 3mv at normal music listening levels. After all, the PSB Sub Sonic 6 that I used to have in my system would auto turn-on at any volume level be it music or home theater.
I have emailed PE's tech support, but have yet to receive an answer and it has been longer than 24 hours.
Regards,
TCIII

------------------
If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.

[This message has been edited by TCIII (edited January 06, 2004).]