Ah, good stuff. Very good stuff. Thanks, all.

His viewing habits are mainly TV (cable, not satellite) and some movies -- whatever TV he gets, he will also be getting a DVD player (along with a copy of The Two Towers, I very much suspect). Probably some sports, but I don't know how much. He does have an older house that probably had an antenna on it at some point in the past, but I don't think there's one up there at the moment. He seems to have settled on going with large screen (30"-36") direct view rather than big screen RP for HD (or even staying at 27" if he replaces the defunct XBR with a standard TV), but there's the question of 16:9 vs. 4:3 that's still bugging him. A 30" to 36" HD set is probably nearing the top of the list, and he's starting to lean toward going with 16:9. Judging from what I've heard here I think 16:9 is sounding more and more like a good choice if he does go HD, although he should probably get somebody to demonstrate the set with a standard def 4:3 signal before he decides for sure. The Samsung is available at Best Buy, so he could at least get a look at it. Thanks for all the help, keep it coming if anything else occurs to you, and I'll let you know what he decides.

Oh, and to add to JasonJ's good links about DLP and LCD, here's the article from Secrets that came out recently: DLP vs. LCD .

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review