Quote:
Originally posted by BenjaminKing:
I thought I heard that DLP won't burn in an image. Can anyone verify, or disprove that? I was thinking about getting a DLP front projector (the Dwin Transvision3 looks promising...), but I don't want to make a huge investment like that if I'm going to be playing video games and letting my kids watch TV on it.

I don't believe you can burn in an image with a rear projection DLP. It's a different technology that doesn't seem to be susceptible to that fault.

Be careful with a front projector for anything other than movies. Bulbs do burn out and then you're out probably close to $300 to replace it. Most people I've heard of with front projectors usually have a standard monitor nearby for video games and regular TV watching. Also, you need a much darker room to use a projector.

Another DLP issue, especially with low cost ones, is the "rainbow" factor. Because of the spinning color wheel, the viewer can sometimes see streaks of color in the image that after prolong viewing can cause headaches and the such. Higher cost DLPs use either multiple color wheels and/or faster spinning wheels to help avoid this problem. A good idea before buying a DLP would be to test one in your room to see if you can see the "rainbows."

I would look up that model on either of the following sites to see what current users think of that projector. You can also find a ton of info about "rainbows" and DLP vs. any other projector technology on these sites.

www.avsforum.com
www.projectorcentral.com

Good luck!!

gonk How about the 30" 16x9 Samsung Direct View set that I've seen around for like $900? It doesn't have DVI, but seems to do everything else.