Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1172 - 02/05/02 08:29 PM Help, do you think my receiver will be able to power these speakers? plz reply
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States, Louisiana
Ok, I may not own an 1050 but I was wondering if you guys would still mind helping me out.

I have pair of Cerwin Vega E-710's which I'm using as mains right now and I plan on upgrading as soon as I get enough money to some E-715's. But I'm kind of worried my Onkyo TX-DS595 will not be able to power them to their max. Unlike the thread a few post below me I have a general idea of what the Onkyo can and will not do. I know the Onkyo will provide great highs and mids but I'm not to sure about the Onkyo being able to push that big 15 inch woofer. The only reason I'm even thinking of about buying these big speakers for the this type of Onkyo is because of the great speaker sensitivity rating. My E-710's are rated at 95db and the E-715's are rated at 102db. If I understand the values of speaker sensitivity then my Onkyo TX-DS595 which is rated at 75 watts times 5 will be able to power these big Cerwin Vega E-715's correct? So do think the Onkyo will be able to handle these big speakers, and I will be putting my E-710's as my surrounds also if I get the E-715's.

Thanx for the help,

Chris

#1173 - 02/06/02 12:00 AM Re: Help, do you think my receiver will be able to power these speakers? plz reply
Zed Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas, 77025
With that sensitivity rating you Should be ok. If you buy them some place with a 30 day return policy then you will be safe.
The 75 W of the Onk wouldn't SEEM to be nearly what those SEEM to want, but CV stuff is made for the low voltage Receivers that sell around them.
A better way to use the Onk and your money MIGHT be a "decent" pair of two way bookshelf speakers and a decent Sub.
Swan Diva 2.1's with stands run at 500.00 and mated with a good sub they will be a very good pair to grow with. There are many others.
My Outlaw is running a pair of Vandersteen 1C's rated at 90db sensitivity and there is no problem, but they aren't pushing a 15" speaker, only a 10" and their recommended max is only 100 watts. But the Vandy's go down to 38 Hz and a Sub can take everything from 60Hz down anyway. Running the Vandy's as "large" they sound quite good on their own and a Sub isn't needed for music at all.
Now why would the Vandy's, with only a 10" woofer and maxing at 100 watts cost twice the price of the CV's? There's a head scratcher?!?!?

------------------
"Art is not a mirror, but a hammer."

#1174 - 02/06/02 05:04 PM Re: Help, do you think my receiver will be able to power these speakers? plz reply
charlie Offline
Desperado

It's a common misconception that bigger speakers NEED a bigger amp. While a bigger woofer may be able to generate greater output before reaching its maximum linear excursion this is not always the case.

The only way to tell for sure is (1) thermal power dissipation capacity (2) maximum acoustic output vs. frequency and (3) efficiency, or even better response at 2.83v/1m. The last two combined will allow you to compute maximum input vs. frequency that stays within the drivers limits of linearity.

Unfortunately (2) is almost never supplied. To give some idea, the maximum linear excursion of a (for example) 12" driver may be anywhere from 2.5mm to over 12mm. Each driver has specific design characteristics.

In general I would agree with 'Zed'. The Swan Divas are built with near top notch drivers and appear to have beautiful cabinets to boot.

As an amateur speaker builder I think they represent a great value. I could build with the same components for less, but no way could I SELL speakers with those components for less.

Charlie

#1175 - 02/09/02 01:51 PM Re: Help, do you think my receiver will be able to power these speakers? plz reply
Thenotsonewguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: United States, Louisiana
Swan Divia 2.1 sound very nice, but I already have some speakers that are about the exact same. Matter of fact the specs on the 2.1 compared to my E-710's are the exact same except my E-710's are 95 dB sensitivity. I almost forgot that the E-715 cost more than the 2.1 and the E-710 are about $100 cheaper. So I'm not to sure what you meant when you said the 2.1 cost twice as much.

#1176 - 02/09/02 02:09 PM Re: Help, do you think my receiver will be able to power these speakers? plz reply
Zed Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas, 77025
Oops, some inaccurate info slipped in.
I was speaking about the Vandersteens costing twice the price of the CV's with the Vandy's only having an 8" (not 10") woofer.
The Diva's are a good pair though, and have been compared to speakers costing in the $1,000 + area. If you look around at "class C" speakers you will find them ranging from about 500.00 upwards, with some costing in the 2000.00 range.
There is a difference between a good "bang for the buck" speaker like the Diva's and any of the speakers sold at CC. As an example look at Polk. Even though they sell at CC they won't sell there new audiophile grade except at select Audio dealers.
I am going to try a pair of Diva 2.1's, just for kicks, in a couple of weeks and after they are fully broken in I will compare them to the more expensive Vandersteens and see who wins. I am still a little skeptical about Divas but am sure they will be fine speakers and May be preferable in my system due to the front firing ports.

------------------
"Art is not a mirror, but a hammer."

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM