Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11713 - 08/03/03 04:04 AM Canadian border issues
tak9 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
Hey Folks,
Are there any successful Canadian owners out there? I have never dealt with importing goods across the line before. I need to get a handle on the duty fees and what taxes are required to be paid, and when. Also what is the best method of shipping? Do I
have to pick up at a customs broker house?

I am very interested in a package deal 950/750. Depending on border costs, I may have to settle for the 7100 amp.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

#11714 - 08/03/03 11:03 AM Re: Canadian border issues
Oaf Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Vancouver,British Columbia, Ca...
I had absolutely no trouble with getting my 950/770 across the border ... no duty on electronics from the states ... I had to pay GST but for some reason I was never charged PST (Ontario) ... the Outlaws will send you an accurate quote on shipping and from there my only problem was the UPS lost my 770 for a few days but got it here in the end (Outlaw was a great help there too!)

If you are going to buy, now is the time...our dollar has not been this strong in ages (you luck !#@!)

#11715 - 08/05/03 04:25 PM Re: Canadian border issues
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Tom,

In general, any time you have something shipped to you via UPS into Canada, you should expect massive headaches. Avoid them at all costs! THE problem is that they apply grossly outrageous brokerage fees to everything valued at more than $20Cdn. I've had packages with declared values less than that cost me $17Cdn in brokerage fees alone. Imagine what they'll ding you for a Model 950!?

To avoid this I do one of two things:

1. Insist that all shipments come via USPS. That might be a problem for large (heavy) packages (like big speakers) but should not be for something the size and weight of a 950. USPS gets handled by Canada Post which, near as I can tell, charges a flat $5Cdn fee for brokerage.

2. If you travel to the US (as I often do) have it shipped to you there and bring it back as part of your duty-free allowance (or part thereof). That's what I did with my 950. Most hotels will hold packages for you for at least 30 days. Contact their mail / receiving people first to be sure. (The only caveat on this approach is that Outlaw's banking / credit system is much pickier than most. If you are paying by credit card you will need to contact your credit card folks and have them add the shipping address to a special note to your credit card file - since it and your credit card mailing addresses will be different and Outlaw's credit service will reject it. In some cases the credit card people will not know how to do this properly and your order will be rejected. This happened to me and the shipment never showed up at my hotel. Luckily I was back in the US a month later and got things straightened out in time. Even luckier was that the unit shipped the day that the EPROM software glitches were fixed. So in the end the delay was good for me!)

I have other tricks that I could share with you if you post your email address. Canada Customs might be watching!

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#11716 - 08/05/03 11:05 PM Re: Canadian border issues
tak9 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey Jeff,

My email is, with a slight modification that hopefully the address harvesters can not do automatically yet, is

Always interested in methods to minimize my tax burden.

Looking forward to your reply.

Once I get the cost nailed down, I can go to work towards earning WAF points.

Budgets are made to be broken, trampled, stomped,burned,...

Yee Haa

[This message has been edited by tak9 (edited August 20, 2003).]

#11717 - 08/06/03 09:26 AM Re: Canadian border issues
apilon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Drummondville, Québec
I am from Drummondville Quebec and ordered a 950/7100 combo. I had to pay $600 to UPS for brokegae fee, duty and GST and PST. Because Outlaw shipped both unit as separate one and from 2 different location UPS treated both package separately. This is Outrageous from UPS so be aware of this

#11718 - 08/06/03 11:04 AM Re: Canadian border issues
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

As I said in my earlier message, anyone out there who is listening should AVOID UPS AT ALL COSTS. I've never had problems (or outrageous additional costs) with any other courier company. And while it's fun to make fun of our postal systems, I've never had any problems with anything that's come via USPS / Canada Post. And I've received literally hundreds (if not a thousand) shipments from the US over the last three years alone. I refuse to buy from any supplier or seller who will only ship via UPS into Canada. Plain and simple.

Jeff Mackwood

#11719 - 08/06/03 03:50 PM Re: Canadian border issues
AJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
Hi Jeff,

I also want to order a combo 950/7100. I leave in Canada (Province of Quebec). I looked to use UPS, but I saw their fee...

Can you E-mail me? I would like you to share your experience. If I can save a few buck... It would be much appreciated!

bolduc.aj(remove that)@forces.gc.ca

#11720 - 08/06/03 03:51 PM Re: Canadian border issues
AJ Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
I mean ''live'' in Canada. French speaking!... Can you tell??

#11721 - 08/07/03 03:53 AM Re: Canadian border issues
tak9 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Jeff for your expertise.

Thanks to all for your input and experience.

And especially a THANK YOU to AJ for serving in our Armed Forces.

#11722 - 09/24/03 03:24 PM Re: Canadian border issues
amf_amf Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi Jeff,

Would you please share you trick with me. I live in Ottawa.

Thanks

AMF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM