Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11694 - 07/30/03 08:09 AM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
what do you all think of using the phantom mode and no center channel??

#11695 - 07/30/03 08:38 AM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Thanks Wayne.

While I had heard of D'Appolito before, I must confess that I did not specifically connect him with what I am doing.

I must also confess that while the success with the 1020s is what pushed me to stack the 1030s, and while I had thought of trying something like it for at least a couple of years, it was a recent ad by RBH Sound showing their modular stackable T Series of speakers that was the final push I needed. But then again, maybe it was the brunette in the ad as well! (And is that a grill cloth dress she's wearing?)

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#11696 - 07/30/03 12:18 PM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#11697 - 07/30/03 12:42 PM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Wayne:

I am afraid I have to disagree with a portion of your last post. While it may be true generally, I know that it was not true in my particular case.

I ran my home theater system for over a decade using phantom mode and no center channel speaker. I started on a Yamaha in the days of Dolby Prologic and a 1050 for DD 5.1. I attribute this to the superior imaging and sound stage that my old Dahlquist DQ-10's provided. I never had problems being able to isolate the dialog. Almost without regard to seating position, I was still able to point to the speaker. This included mono sound sources like newscasts. My sense is that others with excellent imaging speakers could also achieve the same result.

I would like to point out that when I switched to NHT speakers, I purchased a matching NHT center that pretty much conforms to your recommendations except that I have the center setup horizontally. What I have noticed is an increase in the dynamics and sound intensity by switching but this could easily be a function of the efficiency difference between the DQ-10's and the NHTs and the additional amplification the center is now getting. FWIW I have not noted the lobing but then I wasn't doing critical listening in an off center position. I will try to see if I notice it.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#11698 - 08/18/03 08:54 AM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

I had a session with Gladiator and Zorro in DD, and used the Night Mode as suggested by "sfw". It worked very well - particularly Gladiator! Surround was still excellent but the levels were not as extreme. I could hear ALL the dialogue, yet the effects were still "thunderous" but just not as loud. I have to say, this worked great for me. I don't think I lost any surround quality. I'll keep working with this. Try it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 461 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 488 @ 06/18/24 10:00 AM