Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11694 - 07/30/03 08:09 AM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
what do you all think of using the phantom mode and no center channel??

#11695 - 07/30/03 08:38 AM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Thanks Wayne.

While I had heard of D'Appolito before, I must confess that I did not specifically connect him with what I am doing.

I must also confess that while the success with the 1020s is what pushed me to stack the 1030s, and while I had thought of trying something like it for at least a couple of years, it was a recent ad by RBH Sound showing their modular stackable T Series of speakers that was the final push I needed. But then again, maybe it was the brunette in the ad as well! (And is that a grill cloth dress she's wearing?)

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#11696 - 07/30/03 12:18 PM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#11697 - 07/30/03 12:42 PM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Wayne:

I am afraid I have to disagree with a portion of your last post. While it may be true generally, I know that it was not true in my particular case.

I ran my home theater system for over a decade using phantom mode and no center channel speaker. I started on a Yamaha in the days of Dolby Prologic and a 1050 for DD 5.1. I attribute this to the superior imaging and sound stage that my old Dahlquist DQ-10's provided. I never had problems being able to isolate the dialog. Almost without regard to seating position, I was still able to point to the speaker. This included mono sound sources like newscasts. My sense is that others with excellent imaging speakers could also achieve the same result.

I would like to point out that when I switched to NHT speakers, I purchased a matching NHT center that pretty much conforms to your recommendations except that I have the center setup horizontally. What I have noticed is an increase in the dynamics and sound intensity by switching but this could easily be a function of the efficiency difference between the DQ-10's and the NHTs and the additional amplification the center is now getting. FWIW I have not noted the lobing but then I wasn't doing critical listening in an off center position. I will try to see if I notice it.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#11698 - 08/18/03 08:54 AM Re: The spoken word vs music and effects
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

I had a session with Gladiator and Zorro in DD, and used the Night Mode as suggested by "sfw". It worked very well - particularly Gladiator! Surround was still excellent but the levels were not as extreme. I could hear ALL the dialogue, yet the effects were still "thunderous" but just not as loud. I have to say, this worked great for me. I don't think I lost any surround quality. I'll keep working with this. Try it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM