Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11591 - 07/15/03 10:31 AM Re: What magazines do you all read?
alfredo mora Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Corona CA
S&Vision,DVDetc,live sound,mix,Sound&video contractor,remix,etc. By subscribing
Everything else I read at Border's

#11592 - 07/15/03 06:30 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#11593 - 07/15/03 09:04 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne Charlton:
Does anyone remember Ralph Hodges? He wrote a monthly column called "The High End". He, sadly, died of cancer in, I believe, 1989. His column was the one I always looked foward to, and the one I will always miss reading.
I remember "The High End". It was the very first thing I read in each issue, even though it was on the very last page of the magazine.

After Hodges died, Corey Greenberg took over the column (which retained its name) for a short while before moving on to bigger and better.

Best,
Sanjay

#11594 - 07/16/03 01:15 AM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I also subscribe to S&V. It's not the same magazine though. I used to love the HIGH END, especially when Corey used his tongue 'n cheek comments, (I actually would laugh out loud). The cartoons! The magazine just isn't funny anymore. I loved it when it was Stereo Review, oh well - progress. If it wasn't for S&V I would never be an Outlaw. The biggest thing I like about this magazine is their focus on the average hi fi person with limited funds.

#11595 - 07/16/03 05:02 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
audvid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairview, TX
I find it interesting that no one mentioned The Perfect Vision. I subscribe to TPV, Stereophile, SGTHT, and S&R. I let the Stereophile drop because I didn't have much need for reviews of $70K TT and the like. I also use to subscribe to HomeTheater but let it drop too. It seemed like it lacked substance. Just glossy pictures. Sort of like Playboy does HT.

Of the magazines I subscribe to I like TPV the best. There's a good mix of equipment across the price spectrum. The articles are well written and, most of all, they like Outlaw equipment (just kidding).

One of the problems I have with all the mags are the "less than controlled" use of adjectives and superlatives when describing equipment. If two AVR's are superb, execellent, transparent, etc but one is 5 times as expensive as the other does 'excellent' have a different definition? Is it 5 times as superb. A little editorial and descriptive control on their part would be appreciated.

#11596 - 07/18/03 04:00 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
S&V and HT. I will echo comments above that HT is not so great nowadays. I used to enjoy B.Butterworth, but he is long gone. S&V is good for the average or casual HT fan. I still like D.Ranada's articles.

[This message has been edited by Slee_Stack (edited July 18, 2003).]

#11597 - 07/23/03 10:45 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
Dr.Spike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
Oh, Playboy, Cherry, Hustler, Maxim, Low Rider, FHM......all the usual male sexist pig kind of stuff

You mean there is more than just the great pix in those? I knew I was missing something… Ack.. I get to distracted with the pix… who can read… LOL

#11598 - 07/25/03 02:23 AM Re: What magazines do you all read?
jmartin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rancho Cordova, CA, USA
I am addicted to my audiophile mags. Stereophile, Absolute Sound, SGHT, Perfect Vision, and Sound and Vision. For HT I really use all of the above-and follow up by listening in High end shops. What I have found is simple. Listen before you buy!(I love 30 day in home). I really did like my Monitor Silver 5i's better than Vandersteen (2CE), Martin Logan (arius), after listening to them all at home. It is what you hear that is important-not what someone else hears. For me it's the music. I do read white papers and manuals for fun also-I am nerdy, and enjoy a lot of input on this subject. John

[This message has been edited by jmartin (edited July 25, 2003).]

#11599 - 07/30/03 12:00 PM Re: What magazines do you all read?
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

My foray into stereo mags started back in the early 70’s when I was in high school. The school library stocked Stereo Review and it was then that I first read articles from Julian Hirsch, whose articles taught me a lot about stereo equipment. I currently subscribe to S&V, HT and SGTHT. Of the 3 I like S&V the best, because it gives the best “in the lab” info and David Ranada carries on in the tradition of Mr. Hirsch. I browse TAS and Stereophile at the bookstore, but they tend to cover stuff that is way too much $$$ for my budget.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM