Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11514 - 06/09/03 08:38 PM Question for Soundhound
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I am curious Soundhound how you tested for the root cause on the 950 hiss? I have a little different hiss but am trying to get to its root cause(ie reamp, amp, etc..).
Thank in advance for the help.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#11515 - 06/09/03 09:09 PM Re: Question for Soundhound
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I did measurements of the 950 for noise. I already had a pretty good idea what the cause was, and that was confirmed by Outlaw. If you have a blue dot, you should not have any problem with hiss if you have the trims near their zero position, and you are calibrating with the main volume control at minus 8 (-08db) for 75db SPL.

#11516 - 06/10/03 12:04 AM Re: Question for Soundhound
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I recently bought a 950B/770 "B-stock" combo. I noted that the B-stock 950 was a "blue dot" and assumed that it had all the latest updates and fixes. I was anticipating no problem with hiss, but did a check anyway. The first time I turned the unit on, there was a definite hiss present, albiet low. The level of hiss didn't change with volume level changes. I was in mild shock. But before I could do much, it was time to leave my home for a while, so I just shut the system off and left. I was thinking about what to do until I got home. I thought I would do a bit more investigating and try to determine if this was more or less hiss than my few-years-old THX certified Onkyo Ampli-Tuner. I used one channel of the Onkyo as a pre/pro on the 770 and got a sense of if, when and how much hiss occured under certain circumstances. Once I had a good idea of this, I restored that one channel to the 950 and powered up again. A mystery of the universe occured. The hiss level of the 950, both in the one channel I had switched to the Onkyo and back, as well as the other six channels, which had remained connected to the 950 during the Onkyo switch, had almost entirely disappeared. All of a sudden, the 950B/770 combo had become one of the most quiet systems I've experienced. What happened to the 950 between the first power-up and the second or third power-up, I don't know. But it's been quiet, when it's meant to be, ever since.

#11517 - 06/10/03 07:41 AM Re: Question for Soundhound
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
This is NOT 950 related! There now that we have that clear. I am thinking that my rear surrounds are to close to me and thats why I am hearing them. It was just I added an amp for them and just started noticing the hiss. In further checking they all hiss, except with the pre-amp off or the volume at 0. If you turn the volume to 1 the hiss is back, it does not increase in volume after that.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's

Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM