Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11464 - 05/19/03 11:16 PM Pro-Audio Sound Cards
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
Any one use one of these? I have a new computer and plan to use a pro-audio sound card. I like the digital out on this one..

http://www.midiman.net/products/consumer/sonicaTheatre_page1.php

#11465 - 05/20/03 10:21 AM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I use the original Sonica with my G4. It's output only and the sound it puts out is pretty nice. The digital out is a nice advantage. The only issue I've had is getting the Dolby Digital out to work properly with their DVD player but I don't think my software is completely up to date. I don't know if I would call it a "pro-audio sound card," but I feel it's a definite improvement over a soundblaster especially if you own a Mac. Hope that helps...

#11466 - 05/20/03 12:33 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Midiman makes some good products (my friend designs for them), and I own some of their stuff, however not their sound cards. The card looks like a good one, however it is not a pro-audio card, but at best a "pro-sumer" one.

If you want a "real" professional card, you should investigate the offerings from Digidesign. The only single card solution they offer is the Audiomedia card, which I have in a "second" system, but it is only two channel. They also make everything up to full blown professional workstations (I have their ProTools "mix" system).

#11467 - 05/20/03 02:41 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Digidesign is certainly the Pro leader in terms of Pro Tools. I would, however, like to hear what Hi-Fi intends to do with his computer before recommending sound cards. I have a feeling that the audiomedia card might be a bit of overkill for his purposes. That said, I would think that the Digi 002 system would be a better intro to Pro Tools for someone who is just building a system.

#11468 - 05/20/03 03:53 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I forgot to mention that the ProTools software is available as a *free* version for PC and mac at their website. It uses the sound card inside the computer, and is good for 8 tracks, and stereo output. It's a good introduction to pro editing software, and will do most anything needed, and the price is right.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited May 20, 2003).]

#11469 - 05/21/03 08:56 AM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I am considering the M-Audio 7.1 Revolution or the Sound Blaster Extigy, the M-Audio is less money, about $99....but the Sound Blaster has inputs for recording about $149

http://www.midiman.net/products/consumer/revolution_page1.php

#11470 - 05/21/03 12:26 PM Re: Pro-Audio Sound Cards
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I am interested in something like the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 for "instrumentation" use. It may be a an affordable way to have a high quality data acquisition board.

I would like to use one as a souce of high quality test signals for testing/setting up audio systems. The 192KHz playback sampling rate is a big plus for me, as is the 96KHz record sampling rate to look at the output of amplifiers, etc.

The Audigy 2 has looked interesting, but anything with the name "Sound Blaster" has, in my book, a handicap in regards to high quality audio.

Too bad the windows version of pro-tools is only available for W98/Me. It looks interesting.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

Who's Online
0 registered (), 203 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM