Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11328 - 04/23/03 02:28 PM Riddles for the Techno-minded
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
After I read the thread presented by Soundhound called "My Pix," I thought to pose a somewhat related, real-life riddle. If any other Gunslingers have riddles and answers to post and continue this thread, please do!

Being a person with a 'bent' for audio/video production/engineering, and having spent time in the Middle East doing television, the following question came to mind:

During poor weather in a military theater of operations, when you notice flashes of light in distant clouds with thunderous sound following several seconds later, how do you know if you are seeing a thunderstorm or an artillery barrage?

Don't read past this paragraph until you have a solution ... or at least a guess!

==========

==========

My solultion: Tune a radio on the AM band to a frequency with a weak or no signal. Listen to the hiss. If you hear a 'crackle' at the same moment as each distant flash in the sky, it is lightning. If the hiss is undisturbed at each flash, it is not lightning.

I hope none of you will ever need that information! What problems and techno-solutions (real or hypothetical, serious or silly) have you had, Gunslingers?

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited April 23, 2003).]

#11329 - 04/23/03 06:56 PM Re: Riddles for the Techno-minded
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
What about the EMP caused by nukes going off?

If you and your radio are not vaporized, I betcha there is static big time.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited April 23, 2003).]

#11330 - 04/23/03 09:17 PM Re: Riddles for the Techno-minded
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul J. Stiles:
What about the EMP caused by nukes going off?
[This message has been edited by Paul J. Stiles (edited April 23, 2003).]

You're on an EMP caused by nukes kick aren't you ... are you getting paranoid from all the news?

But isn't that why the military uses tubes in a lot of equipment? they're more durable than a tiny bit of silicon?

#11331 - 04/23/03 09:25 PM Re: Riddles for the Techno-minded
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
The military used tubes because the jet pilots find them more musical in the audio systems onboard the jet fighters.

With the budget they have, and are willing to spend, the cachet that comes with high-end tube equipment is irresistable.

Silicon is the technology of choice for computers, though.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#11332 - 04/24/03 09:51 AM Re: Riddles for the Techno-minded
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I suppose in the instance of nukes/EMP, assuming one is at a sufficient distance to A) not be vaporized, and B) not go blind, the mushroom cloud, fireball, and your radio and wristwatch no longer functioning might be a clue!

Of course any of us who have experimented with Tesla coils may have experienced small, localized phenomena similar to the above.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts