Quote:
for dispelling dts conspiracy theories

BoB:

Thanks for the kind words regarding links - glad they helped.

The article on WireHed wasn't really definitive on a lot of issues IMO, pretty much seemed to follow the usual 'it sounded better to me, and here are some facts' format. Nothing really new or different. They handily omitted some facts too, like the question where the 0.6 db boost on the DTS 'shootout' CD came from and the fact that DTS hits -3db at 15khz and 754 kbps (the typical DVD rate) among others.

My take on it is that DTS may sound better (from my experience) but whether it's more accurate or not is not proven and in any case it does have issues of it's own AND consumes a truly hogish amount of bandwidth compared to the rather small improvement over DD.

I'd like to see DTS at 448 kbps, but I doubt the codec could produce anything worthwhile at that datarate. I bet a codec with the efficiency of DD and a higher datarate, maybe just an AC-3.1 where higher datarates are defined would beat either current solution. I'd also like to hear what Dolby 'E' (2mbps datarate) might sound like, but I doubt consumers will in the near future.