Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
Are you talking about a film soundtrack here or an audio disc? "MLP" says to me that the original has already been altered in some way or another. Also, I've never heard of MLP as a compression format for a film.

Soundhound's comparison is really nice because he has the "original" audio files to compare to the DD and DTS versions of the film.

One more thing, as mentioned in the article that D'Arbignal linked to; hearing and percieving are two different things. I would add to that list the word listening. I do, however, like that the article mentions that musical enjoyment is really not measureable.

Jason,

Exactly right. That's why I said that DTS is less accurate but that's not the same thing as sounding worse. The encoding method that sounds the best is just that: whatever you like. If you like listening to DD, great. If you like DTS, that's great too. And if you like two tin cans and a string, that's also great.

My point was to address the fallacy that people have that think that because DTS is less compressed that it's somehow more accurate. It's been our conclusion that DTS simply has a less efficient coder, hence a greater number of bits are required simply to store the same data.

Jeff