Quote:
Originally posted by boblinds:
Just to clarify what Soundhound and I were hearing a couple weeks ago: It was a MUCH more striking difference (with more subtlety) than a louder level. There were many other DTS differences that were preferable to DD ... and not all of those could be attributed to EQ variations.

You'd be surprised. It bears mentioning that the DD and DTS versions of the same film often come from different masters, hence it's hard to tell which format is really better. The reason Stuart was able to do so in this case was he had a known instance where he knew it was the same master, and he had the MLP (lossless)-encoded version to work with as a base of comparison.

Quote:

I'd love to see the article on SMR. Do you have a title for the thread or a direct link? I didn't have any luck trying to search it out over there.

Sorry, I don't. You should register and then post your query in Forum 1. Nigel or Stuart may be able to post a link for you. Tell 'em Jeff sent ya.

Quote:

Finally, a DTS anomaly. I rented Moulin Rouge last week (hated it, by the way) and the DTS track was out of sync. I thought it was something wrong with my system until I switched to the Dolby track and all was well. I did find a couple references on the web that others observed the same thing.

Could be an anomaly in my equipment, of course, that some others share as well. But it was pretty weird.

Probably just an error in the manufacturing process, or possibly the encoding process. I don't think it's any indication of DTS's quality, or the lack thereof.

Jeff