Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

it's a phenomenon to me how the 'experts' write an article and many people latch onto what is said.

from the player, to the chosen routing scheme and processing method, preamplification, amplification and playback through 6 or 7 or 8 loudspeakers, an original mix of any format can emerge as nothing like itself.

i'm just glad there IS a competing format to DD.

bossobass,

With your nom de plume, I'm not surprised that you prefer DTS. DTS is famous for having "accidentally" boosted the bass in its soundtracks, resulting in the psychoacoustic phenomenon that I mentioned.

Yes, you're right that it's impossible to perfectly reproduce the original material. But does that mean that we should forget about fidelity alltogether? Perhaps you should forget about compact discs, DVD-A, and SACD: after all, it's impossible to get perfect sound, so you might as well stick with cassette tapes, right? Or for that matter, why not stick to wax cylinders?

Obviously, there's a point to trying to get as accurate a reproduction as possible. Every little bit helps, and the end sound is only going to be as good as the weakest link in the chain. Why degrade that chain further?

And as to your glee that DTS is a competitor to Dolby, I'm happy you're happy, but if you looked into DTS's misleading marketing practices a little bit more, I'm not sure you'd be has pleased.

I've personally met a lot of the folks at DTS, and they're a swell bunch of guys and gals and all, but the way they sell their product is unpleasant to me.

Jeff