Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1066 - 01/30/02 11:27 AM S-Video Questions
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I have seen a couple of different threads discussing S-Video, but I have a question. Currently I am using the non S-Video inputs on my 1050. Have DVD, XBox, and Digital Cable box connected. The only one that doesn't have S-Video out is the cable box (that is why I am using the other inputs). I just found an adapter on audioadvisor.com that would let me plug the cable box into S-Video in on the 1050.

I would use S-Video for what I can, and just connect S-Video and regular video to the TV, but I have an old TV (Mitsu) that won't let me do that. Have 1 S-Video in on it, but if I plug it in it completely overrides the other and won't even accept signal from it (just shows blue screen).

So, thinking I get that adapter, plug everything into S-Video inputs on 1050, and run the S-Video out to my TV. Saw an old thread w/some people having troubles though, and recommending going component instead (I can't w/my present TV).

Is it worth if for me to get the adapters and additional cable to do the S-Video or should I just stay with what I have? Probably would buy a nice S-Video cable from BetterCables or someone, but wondered if people thought it was worthwhile.

Thanks.

#1067 - 01/30/02 12:00 PM Re: S-Video Questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm doing very much what you describe, with DVD, Super VHS VCR, and digital cable all connected to my 1050 via S-Video. When I get the 950, I'll also connect my Dreamcast via S-Video (currently it goes to the front inputs of my Mitsu TV, and I connected to TV's audio output to the 1050). It works great for me, but the thread you mentioned did reveal that some video sources apparently exceed the industry standard output voltage for S-Video, which causes the 1050's switching to have problems. It is dependent on the source, and apparently can be somewhat remedied by using different cables.

Is S-Video worth it? I sure think so. Mitsubishi made some very nice direct-view TV's back before the dropped them and went to rear projection exclusively (I think they're messing with plasma now, too) -- the DVD and XBox would probably both benefit from switching from composite to S-Video. As for a good S-Video cable, I've been very impressed with BetterCables Silver Serpent S-Video, although it is a little pricey compared to a cheap Radio Shack S-Video. You might just go BetterCables for the DVD and the monitor out from the 1050. The cable box is starting out composite anyway, so at least at first a cheaper cable won't hurt. (Maybe once the new Outlaw PSC-75 comes out, Outlaw will look into making an S-Video cable?) By the way, I'd recommend avoiding Monster S-Video cables. I've had some real bad luck with them (one that had a bad connector, several that didn't look any better than the RS S-Vid cables I had lying around).

------------------
Gonk

#1068 - 01/30/02 10:59 PM Re: S-Video Questions
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
It's interesting to note just how various setups will react with each other. I instantly got my sat and dvd hooked up via s-video switching in the 1050 and discovered that I was one of those who were doomed to have problems. Apparently my dvd player sends out signals outside the spec so I get flashes and picture rolls with dvd sometimes. They come in the same spot every time. Anyway, I guess I'd recommend trying your existing components out with the 1050's s-video switching just to see if you have any problems. I now have my dvd direct and composite for my sat (again...). Some good test material is immediately following the plane crash in Castaway, during the storm in the water, or the storm at the beginning of the Iron Giant. I would say if you can play through both of those with no problems, you should be safe.

Also worth noting, my experience with the Monster s-video is exactly opposite gonk's. Had a real cheap one and on a blind test my wife picked out the monster as well. I know not the best, but it's what I had available to me and it was better than generic brand.

#1069 - 02/01/02 09:06 PM Re: S-Video Questions
dbissett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston TX
I was interested in the adapter you mentioned that allowed you to connect your cable box to S-video and checked audioadvisor site. Are you talking about the Monster Cable CSVA-1 Composite to S-Video Adapter? My digital cable box only has composite out as well but it's a bit pricey at a hundred bucks. Do others really get a significant improvement in their cable picture with something like this?

dave

[This message has been edited by dbissett (edited February 01, 2002).]

#1070 - 02/02/02 01:50 PM Re: S-Video Questions
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
As I understand it, S-video connections provide the greatest picture improvements on signals that weren't already converted to composite somewhere along the way -- video game systems, DVDs, digital cable / DSS, etc. Anything that was transmitted for some distance as composite, such as analog cable TV or a VCR, won't see as much benefit.

#1071 - 02/04/02 12:00 PM Re: S-Video Questions
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

This is a different adapter, $19.99. It doesn't upgrade your picture any, but it does allow you to use S-Video input. Here is link: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=CAMEXCALP

Helps me since I cannot use the S-Video and regular inputs on my TV at the same time. I could use a new TV, but that is down the list of priorities a bit for now.

#1072 - 02/04/02 01:14 PM Re: S-Video Questions
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Interesting. I always thought a comb filter was kind of large to fit in that size package.

#1073 - 02/05/02 08:41 PM Re: S-Video Questions
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

I should have checked Parts Express first. They have an S-Video converter but it's only about $5.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=180-140&DID=7

#1074 - 02/07/02 08:55 PM Re: S-Video Questions
dbissett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston TX
From reading both product links it appears that using the converter adds convenience in that the TV doesn't have to be switched between inputs. The partsexpess link had this to say at the end of their product description.....While this product will convert the composite RCA signal to be viewed on an S-Video input, the signal will only be as good as the original composite signal....which answers a question I had about it's benefits. Probably worth 5 bucks anyway to reduce switching by one click.

dave

Who's Online
0 registered (), 212 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM