Interesting . See this for UMG's recent announcement on upcoming SACD releases.

Quote:
But you still only get sound quality of a cd. The reason that they are "backwards" compatable is that they also include a CD layer...which will do nothing to demonstrate any advanced resolution.

Yup, that's what backwards compatible refers to, Jason. (I didn't think I needed to add the part about no SACD "resolution" on an ordinary non-compatible CD or DVD player 'cause I figured everyone would pick up on that. ) Point was, you can play them in your car as an "ordinary" CD- can you do that with your DVD-A's?
Quote:
To me the stronger point is that anyone who has a DVD player can test the waters.
What do you mean? Are you saying any DVD player will decode DVD-A?
Quote:
I'm backing DVD-A, simply because joe six-pack already has a foothold in the door.
So DVD-A is a JSP medium? Well, maybe.
All kidding aside, IMO, you make some very valid points Jason, regards the availability and acceptibility of equipment to play each format on. Maybe the universal players now coming out will change this. It seems that DVD-A is good with the number of players in the market, but poor on the number of available music selections, with the opposite being true with SACD. This is a format war. You pays your money and takes your chances.