Quote:

The new Hybrid SACD releases now coming out allow them to be played on any CD or DVD player- they are "backwards compatible". This could go a long way to making this a winning format. Play them in your car, DVD player or CD player without the need for a dedicated SACD decoder/player. Ya can't do that with your DVD-A disc. As far as SACD sound quality goes, you will find good ones and bad ones, just as in any other recorded format out there. Both of these formats are capable of giving us much better sound (and on fairly inexpensive equipment) when compared to the lowly CD.

But you still only get sound quality of a cd. The reason that they are "backwards" compatable is that they also include a CD layer...which will do nothing to demonstrate any advanced resolution. Granted the same can be said for the DVD-A format. But the DD track on the DVD-A can be quite a selling point to upgrade to the DVD-A players. With SACD, for the "best buy" consumer, it is more of a plunge.

Just think of the average consumer. "I'm getting a new DVD player. So I can either get the DVD player...that has this new DVD thingey on it...cool. Or I can get another CD player...that has this new CD thingey on it...huh?"

I'm backing DVD-A, simply because joe six-pack already has a foothold in the door. IF SACD was making a player to capatolize on the expanding DVD market (which granted there are a few entry level Sony DVD-V/SACD players out there). To me the stronger point is that anyone who has a DVD player can test the waters. People who want to try REAL SACD's will need to plop down cash for a new player, one that is a dedicated SACD player.

Jason