Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#104 - 06/11/01 01:18 PM Multiple Rooms???
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Has anyone run some sort of multi-room installation with a 1050? I know it is not expressly designed as a multiple room controller, but I think, with a little effort, it would perform the simple task I am looking for: I want to run some outdoor speakers without keeping the indoor speakers on.

I am using an external amp, meaning that I have the internally amplified channels still free. I imagine with the addition of a simple speaker level switch box, I could kick the outdoor speakers on or off and to kill the indoor channels, I could simply leave the external amp off. I am still then left with the sub being on, which may be an acceptable situation.

Does anybody have a better idea of a way of doing this? My main concern would be someone else not noticing that the outdoor speakers are on, thereby broadcasting the morning news to the neighbors. . .

S.

#105 - 07/01/01 05:39 PM Re: Multiple Rooms???
Deryl Robinson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I am attempting to drive a pair of speakers in my living room, and another pair on my patio. To do this, I have installed a Yamaha AX-596 amplifier, which has the capability to drive A and B zones separately or together. To enable listening to stereo progamming in either of the external zones without listening in the den (where my home theater is setup with the 1050), I connected the CD directly to the amp from the analog output on the CD player. I used the optical output on the CD player to connect it to the 1050.
To enable playing any programming that is selected on the 1050 in any of the external zones simultaneously, I connected the 1050's pre-amp level output to the amplifier. I tried this two ways, and neither was satisfactory.
1. When connected to the amp's tuner input, I experienced drastically lower volume level in the external zone, but the worst part was that there was virtually no bass at all.
2. When connected to the amp's main input, the volume leveled out, but there was still no bass. Another problem here is that when connected this way the Yamaha's own volume and tone controls are bypassed, and I cannot play back programs that are routed directly to the amp.
I need help too. Is there any way to adjust the line outputs on the 1050?

#106 - 07/11/01 02:18 AM Re: Multiple Rooms???
ryan_m Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am just using my old Sony DPL receiver to power speakers in another room. Just have the tape out on the 1050 going to an input on the Sony. Works fine for me. I was going to get rid on my old Sony when I got my 1050 but besides the above it's also being used as a phono pre amp and an amp to power a sub.

#107 - 05/03/02 07:07 PM Re: Multiple Rooms???
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I figured I'd re-hash this topic, as I am about to start cutting drywall to install the in-wall speakers this week. My intended set-up is as follows: (any suggestions are appreciated).

I have a Carver 5 ch amp, run by the 1050, so I currently have the 1050's amp section available. I purchased a Dayton speaker plate (4 amp level terminals to a 4 room splitter that fits in a wall plate, see PartsExpress for more info if you want one) and at this point, only 1 Dayton volume control (impedance protected, 35-20k frequency response). So, for now, its only a 1 room addition, but more are to follow as time/desire permit. The crux of the question is this, however:

If I make 2 long RCA cables (15 and 35 feet respectively) and split them from the tape loop on the 1050, would I receive good performance from the bedroom system and the garage system, both of which have their own amp sources. The way I see it, I would not have discrete multi-room, as the 1050 does not have true zone A & B, but I wanted to go ahead and run it all now, and purchase a multi-zone 950 later on down the road.

So, any thoughts on a) long RCA runs b) using the 1050's internal amp to power one or two rooms at the same time, impedance compensation being a non-issue and c) the sound quality of the Dayton line of stuff from Parts Express vs. a different arrangement. As I said, I have yet to cut any drywall, so mistakes can be averted.

Thoughts?

S.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM