In 2005 I purchased a Philips GA312 with a AT cart off eBay. My shop sold this table during the 70's and I remember Advent using it at The Drake in Chicago at the CES, for demo.

A few weeks ago, I added a Thorens TD320MkI, also from eBay, and my former store mgr installed a Denon 110 cart. This fellow is a genius with tables. Anyway, I began pulling out old records and was amazed at how good they sound. I had not heard this quality of sound from LP's for thirty years. Vinyl requires more effort to prepare it for play but it's worth the effort, especially if one is a codger who remembers the good ol' days. I purchased the Thorens because of its auto shutoff feature (I'm not that much of a perfectionist).

If you are willing to invest in a good table, and select a good cartridge that is properly installed, and are willing to clean the LP and stylus, you will experience very nice listening experiences.

CD is more convenient and has features that LP's cannot match; however, the LP is analog, and to me, that's closer to reality than converting 1's and 0's digitally.