What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component?

Posted by: sehnzeleid

What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 03:44 AM

I was going to ask elsewhere, but you guys seem pretty knowledgeable. smile
Posted by: Laventura

Re: What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 04:22 AM

please leave the clever little ones out of this... wink
Posted by: gonk

Re: What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 04:58 AM

Oh, I think we're safe from CLC's here. (Whew...) Unfortunately, I don't have a real good description at hand for the specifics of how a master clock works with managing digital signals within or between components.
Posted by: slbenz

Re: What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 07:14 AM

Follow this link for a pretty good explanation for the use of a master clock in a player: http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=417

Slbenz
Posted by: Jason J

Re: What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 05:56 PM

If you want to go really technical about what a "master clock" does for audio:

www.digido.com

Look in the Audio FAQ under "Jitter". It's more on the production side of things but is very relevant to your question.
Posted by: sehnzeleid

Re: What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 09:12 PM

Thanks guys, very detailed articles. laugh

Just got me interested after reading someone requesting the new 990 feature an Apogee master clock.
Posted by: BloggingITGuy

Re: What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 09:22 PM

Other than the Integra Research RDC-7.1 what other prepros use Apogee for master clock?

I love it that people are looking for features in a ~$1000 prepro that are in a $5000 prepro.

Outlaw has to make compromises somewhere or increase prices. Although it would be interesting to see them make a no-compromise piece, I don't think I could afford it even with the Outlaw discount.
Posted by: BloggingITGuy

Re: What's a "Master Clock" do in relation to an audio component? - 12/05/07 09:33 PM

By the way, for what it's worth, I don't think the RDC sounds appreciably better than the 990.