Noise and Cables

Posted by: MeanGene

Noise and Cables - 03/17/05 01:24 AM

I have most of my components in a single component rack. The bad part is that the cables coming out the back can be in close proximity to each other. I have tried to separate the power/interconnect/speaker wires/cables as much as possible. What are the rules to make sure to have the least noise and best sound? I have heard that when you cross cables, do so at 90* to each other, any truth to this?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Noise and Cables - 03/17/05 08:01 AM

I've not heard that, but it makes sense from the standpoint of not wanting a power cable to run directly alongside an interconnect for any distance - crossing at 90 degrees would minimize the exposure...
Posted by: curegeorg

Re: Noise and Cables - 03/17/05 11:24 AM

i have not heard that either. separating your power cables from your ics and speaker wire is about as good as one can hope for.
Posted by: soundhound

Re: Noise and Cables - 03/17/05 01:11 PM

The 90 degree rule is accepted practice. It generally refers to power cables that must cross line level audio cables. Crossing them at 90 degrees limits the exposure to a bare minimum, if there must be exposure at all.

Designing and wiring for lowest noise is a whole topic in itself and books have been written about it.