Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11278 - 04/05/03 07:15 PM dicker on price?
drw Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi-Fi House is an audio and video specialty chain that sells brands such as Paradigm and B&W. The price tag on everything is the MSRP, although sometimes items are on sale for less. In such a store, should I expect to pay MSRP, or should I try to negotiate a discount? Thanks.

#11279 - 04/05/03 07:55 PM Re: dicker on price?
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Dickering is always acceptable! Eather they give you some leeway or they dont, but it never hurts to ask.

My dealer lists all of their stuf at MSRP, but they always quote me a "deal" at about 15-20% off MSRP.

#11280 - 04/05/03 10:55 PM Re: dicker on price?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
It depends on the store. Sixth Avenue Electronics, P C Richards, and other stores like that definitely allow bargaining on price. In fact, I'd not recommend buying from them until after you've done your research and know the going price, or else you'll get scalped!

Meanwhile, places like Radio Shack, Big K-Mart, and similar places do not negotiate.

When in doubt, ask, "Are these prices fixed, or is there room for negotiation here?"

If negotiation is permitted, they'll probably retort with something like, "What did you have in mind?" Make sure you have an offer in mind before you ask if you can negotiate, or else you'll fumble around trying to think of one on the spot.

Jeff

#11281 - 04/05/03 11:07 PM Re: dicker on price?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Dicker Dicker DICKER.

Meanwhile, places like Radio Shack, Big K-Mart, and similar places do not negotiate True I’ve never found it there. But even chains like Circuit City…Tweeters….typically not hi-fi will. Hi-Fi boutique you should always get a discount. Often the longer you do business the better the discounts. Although all of mine have been pretty scattered locations of purchase and I get them anyway.

I made two purchases which were not tiny, a 2K set of speakers and a display, - before I figured this out. The rule of thumb since I've talked to several people who have done it for years is to aim for 10% off minimum or no purchase. More as the purchase price increases. Be polite, non-confrontational but confident. Humor helps too. It is like a car lot. They are trained especially at the high fi type shops to come back with a bunch of lines why they can’t. Just be ready to counter in a friendly manner. Ex: Even at CC (a chain retailer), when I asked for 100 off a 600 stand (about 16% off). He looked at me very firmly as if (end of subject) and stated “No the manager never discounts the furniture, not enough markup in that area., I can’t even ask him for that discount, another customer just asked last week and my manager would not do it.” I smiled and said, “I can understand that, but I’d prefer it if you would just make the request for me anyway, and please tell him I guarantee him a multiple item purchase tonight if that makes it worth while for the total sale. Stand display and warranty” I had already sent him to this manger for price matching on the display, and in addition intended to purchase a warranty on the display. Especially when you’re buying a warranty, they have much more play in the pricing on your total tab.

Often times just asking the right sales person, makes a difference. I went to purchase a digital camera, was not purchasing the warranty or accessory, only the camera and asked a chain one day for a discount OR a free memory stick thrown in and was told No. (I did not purchase). Same store week later, got a different sales rep asking if I needed help. Put forth the same request, and got 100 off the camera. I have wondered if it affects their commission percentile, and if some sales personnel are more willing to give in this area just for the sale, - than others.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM