Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#11203 - 03/13/03 02:02 AM Hiss from my speakers....
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
*Also posted in Tips & Tricks Board...

Well, I was plugging my Xbox in which means I was behind my speakers. Having DefTech BP30's, I have a tweeter on the back of the cabinet.

I was just about to get up when I heard a faint hiss coming from my tweeters. I had, about 5 minutes earlier, been listening to music. My Elite receiver is, for now, the preamp for my pair of 200 mono's. I have the amps set to the "Music" setting, so the amps themselves don't shut down immediately. It usually takes about 15 minutes.

So here I am, nothing is ON, except for the amps. And then I hear the hiss. I turned my receiver on and adjusted the volume. First with nothing playing, then with music playing. The hiss does not get louder.

I might be overly paranoid, seeing as how this isn't even audible unless I'm within 6 inches of the tweeter. Should I be worrying about anything?

The 2 lines my Panamax 4300's are plugged into are dedicated 15, and 20 amp circuits. Nothing but theatre gear is connected.

I know that in the past, people ask about a speakers sensitivity. But these are rated at 91dB, nothing near being super sensitive.

I wish I wouldn't have noticed this, I fear I am worring about nothing. Please, someone put my mind at ease

*Note* I am using a pair of 1.2 meter Outlaw PCA's running from the pre-outs to the 200's. I think I covered all bases as far as how it's all connected. I just never noticed any hissing before. I know, Im crazy

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

[This message has been edited by SpOoNmAn (edited March 13, 2003).]

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#11204 - 03/13/03 08:28 AM Re: Hiss from my speakers....
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
What else was on in the room. I am thinking about flourescent or halogen lights, dimmers, etc. There will almost always be some audible hiss with your ear to the speaker. It is really up to you to determine how much is too much. Then it comes down to making sure everything is very, very well grounded (I solved one hum/hiss problem by increasing the ground wire size of my antenna feed), using power filtration, and using ferrite rings on power cords and interconnects for RFI/EMI rejection. I have also noticed that using single-ended ground power cords, IC's and other connects (i.e. trigger cable) can sometimes help also.

I personally can hear a hiss on my POLK SDA-1c's with my ear about an inch from the tweeter. It is there with my M-200's and was there when I had Marantz MA-500's and Adcom GFA-565's hooked up as well.

#11205 - 03/13/03 12:59 PM Re: Hiss from my speakers....
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
It's definitely not audible from more then 6 inches. Infact, and thats with my ear facing the tweeter. If I look straight on, it can't be heard. So I guess I am LOOKING for a problem and it's time to stop

Thanks for the reply.

By the way, No flouresecents were on. I'm just happy it doesn't get louder with volume.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#11206 - 03/14/03 12:37 AM Re: Hiss from my speakers....
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SpOoNmAn:
It's definitely not audible from more then 6 inches. Infact, and thats with my ear facing the tweeter. If I look straight on, it can't be heard. So I guess I am LOOKING for a problem and it's time to stop

Thanks for the reply.

By the way, No flouresecents were on. I'm just happy it doesn't get louder with volume.

I agree. A certain amount of hiss is common, and if it's not audible from your listening position, who really cares? Relax and enjoy your system. :-)

Jeff

#11207 - 03/17/03 05:46 PM Re: Hiss from my speakers....
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I'd bet you're worrying without need. Every pre/pro or receiver I've ever owned leaked a bit of hiss. If it is audible only when you're right on top of the speaker, you have nothing to worry about IMHO.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts