on the fence

Posted by: powerwindow

on the fence - 09/22/11 07:00 PM

My harman kardon 354 has quit on me. I had been using it as a processor and HDMI switch with its preamp outputs. However, the heat it generated took its toll. I don't think I can hold out long enough for the 978. I'm considering the modded 5005,with the disconnected amps. However, I'm concerned about its lack of user upgraded firmware possibility. What's the thoughts out there in the saloon?
Thanks,
Tom
Posted by: EEman

Re: on the fence - 09/23/11 09:05 AM

I would say it depends on how long you plan to keep the 5005. If it's just a placeholder until the 978 comes out then you probably won't need to upgrade the firmware.
Posted by: gonk

Re: on the fence - 09/23/11 09:12 AM

The SR5005 has been out for over a year now, with a replacement (the SR5006, which will lack pre-amp outputs) either out now or coming soon. That means the likelihood of Marantz issuing a firmware update for the unit is extremely small.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: on the fence - 09/23/11 12:51 PM

Getting the disconnected amps will likely make it harder to sell later if it is just a temporary placeholder. Leaving the amps connected won't affect the performance in any significant way and will let you use the system as a backup in the future without having it modded again.
Posted by: powerwindow

Re: on the fence - 09/26/11 01:51 PM

I suppose the main reason I would get the modded version is to cut down on the heat output of the receiver as it will only be used as a pre/pro and I believe this is what ended my Harman Kardon's life. I have a feeling that if I go this route it will end up being a lengthy "place holder" as funds are currently very tight. I'm not sure what the speculation is of the 978 pricing, but I'm sure it will be significantly more than the modded 5005. My main usage for the 5005 will be for multi-channel decoding and HDMI switching for an Oppo BDP-83, XBox 360, and Comcast Motorola DVR. I have a dedicated Modwright Stereo preamp with HT-Bypass an an external Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC that I use for 2-channel sessions. If the 5005 has proved itself to be reliable it seems as if this is an economical route for me. I really would prefer a separate pre/pro, but nothing is in the price range. I already tried an Emotiva UMC-1 last year and there was a nightmare of HDMI issues that forced its return. Plus, back to the resale of the 5005, if I'm wiling to pay for shipping, Outlaw will hook the amps back up for free.
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: on the fence - 09/26/11 03:53 PM

The 978 will be priced around $1500 without the discount for previous owners of other Outlaw gear. The 5005 is a great choice as either an AVR or a pre-pro. I am not sure how much heat generation is saved if the amps are not in use but still connected. The current draw is the primary reason for heat generation and without the current the heat will be minimized to a great extent. Make sure it has plenty of breathing space and is not sitting above another big heat source like an amp without some sort of forced ventilation.
Posted by: 73Bruin

Re: on the fence - 09/26/11 06:18 PM

Powerwindow: With an Oppo BDP-83, and depending upon how many HDMI inputs your HDTV has, you might want to consider a used 990, especially if money is tight. You could use the 990's 7 channel inputs for the BDP-83 and go coax or optical for the xbox and dvr (as both of the devices are unlikely to output more than an 5.1 signal that the 990 can already decode). Outlaw may still have some as B stock even if they don't show on the product page. I went that direction and don't regret it for a minute.