Which one are you getting?

Posted by: rmilewsk

Which one are you getting? - 10/10/10 01:01 AM

Who is getting the 978 and who is going to wait for the 998? Why?
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/10/10 08:31 AM

Neither... I have the 990 and the Onkyo 886 and at this pont don't care about DACs I can't hear or HDMI 1.4X, no matter how many dimensions it can display.
Posted by: butchgo

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/10/10 08:52 AM

I am going for the 978 as an upgrade from my 990, which I love by the way.
I realy want to compare the DACs on the 978 to the 990, which sound very good IMO.
Also video processing will be a new thing for me so that will be interesting to play with.
I just am kind of antsy to upgrade my processer and I don't care about Trinnov so, for me, it is not worth the waiting for the 998.
Posted by: pepar

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/10/10 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Neither... I have the 990 and the Onkyo 886 and at this pont don't care about DACs I can't hear or HDMI 1.4X, no matter how many dimensions it can display.

Aren't the new and improved "DACs" on the main channel outputs?

Jeff
Posted by: XenonMan

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/10/10 06:32 PM

I am too old to be able to discern the difference between too very fine DACs with very small differences between them. For the most part I am perfectly content with MP3s. I love my vinyl but I much prefer the CD/DVD/MP3 convenience. I have a pretty large vinyl collection so I want to be able to play them.

I would expect Outlaw will put the better DACs on all channels vice just the mains.
Posted by: Jimna

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/10/10 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: XenonMan

I would expect Outlaw will put the better DACs on all channels vice just the mains.
wouldnt they have to maintain system synergy?
Posted by: gonk

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/10/10 09:04 PM

Whatever DAC's they use would certainly need to be across all channels.
Posted by: rangler

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/13/10 10:37 AM

the 978. if I had a confirmed release date on the 998 I would likely wait. unfortunately after 2+ years of waiting I no longer believe that it is a definite.
Posted by: KOYAAN

Re: Which one are you getting? - 10/13/10 12:11 PM

My 990 still sounds great with the Oppo BD83SE . I was attracted by the internet connectivity, which strangely none of my current components have, and
and the super EQ capabilities of the 998. The only real advantage that the 978 offers me is Audessy, I step down from what I really want. I think I'll just wait for the uber unit.