Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#9116 - 09/14/06 04:05 PM using a ps3 as my system dvd/cd player
gooomz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: new york
what do you guys think about using my ps3 as my system blu-ray/dvd/cd player. do you think it will provide audiophile performance, or do think it is better to go with a oppo player. i have currently an outlaw 970/7075 combo and a full 5.1 aperion setup. do you think ps3 in terms of cd and dvd quality will be a good fit or is it better to go with a dedicated player like the oppo?

#9117 - 09/14/06 04:23 PM Re: using a ps3 as my system dvd/cd player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's too soon to tell how the PS3 will perform with DVD and CD playback. There are some hints that it's going to be a really good Blu-ray player, but there's nothing first-hand to back that up and there's even less information about DVD and CD. CD performance would probably be fine. (Interesting observation: Sony's Blu-ray player will not support CD playback at all, but the PS3 will since it is backward compatible with PS1 games.) Upscaling DVD performance is more of a mystery. I tend to suspect that an Oppo would do a better job with DVD's, but as with any upscaling DVD discussion you also have to consider the display - if the TV has good scaling capabilities and the PS3 can be set to output 480i via HDMI, it might still work out well.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM