Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7015 - 12/13/02 08:48 AM Magnepan?
WJMIII Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
I just bought a pair of Magnepan MMGs (the "beginner" plannar speakers), and I am curious as to what to expect from the Magnepans paired with an Outlaw 1050. I heard some Magnepans in a store (not the MMGS), and was impressed; I hope I am not going to be ley down.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

#7016 - 12/16/02 10:35 PM Re: Magnepan?
WJMIII Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
WOW! I hooked up my Magnepan MMG speakers this afteroon. Thay are absolutely outstanding! The sound is not boxed in and directional; the sound stages across the entire room, especially when you are in the sweet spot.

Do yourself a favor and buy some Magnepas MMGs to star out with- you can trade up to some larger ones with no value loss from Magnepan. You will be sold!

#7017 - 12/17/02 05:24 PM Re: Magnepan?
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Magnepans always had that WOW factor, and they look cool too.

#7018 - 12/17/02 06:11 PM Re: Magnepan?
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Well I was a Maggie convert so I understand your joy, I enjoyed them the whole time I had them! I started with the mmgs' and quickly upgraded to the 1.6s. I found the bass a little lacking with the mmg but for the price they are a fine speaker. A very quick sub is necessary IMHO. I had good luck pairing the maggies with REL but I'm sure any number of manufacturers make a fast enough sub. I do miss the now though.

Happy listening.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#7019 - 12/27/02 02:11 PM Re: Magnepan?
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
I have 1.6QR's in the front and used to have the old 1.5QR's...had impressive Jamo's in between...but just had to go back. Maggie is the way to go. A note on the sub...Maggies are very quick, you will be disappointed if you get a sub without any kind of servo control. the difference is astounding no matter the speaker. I recommend Veledyne and Mirage. I went from a non-servo to the Mirage BBS-250 and what a difference. At mid to loud volumns, the former muddied the sound and had to be turned down (course I drive the 1.6's with about 500 watts a side.
Another treat is Maggies in the rear...spooky on DTS movies actually. I have the 10.1QR but it is discontinued for the model now below the 1.6...suggestion: when you can upgrade to the 1.6, keed the MMG's for the rear. you won't want to ever leave home.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM