Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7129 - 01/11/03 12:47 AM passive or powered?
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
If I get a passive sub (with no amplifier), can I drive it with one of the 65w channels on the 1050, or will that not work?

Or, should I just get a powered sub? I'm considering HSU and SVS subs right now. Any recommendations?

On a side note, how important is it to 'match' the subs to the speakers? I have b&w speakers but b&w subs suck, so I need to get some other brand.

#7130 - 01/11/03 12:58 AM Re: passive or powered?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
65 watts might not be enough power for a subwoofer, which typically requires the most power of all the speakers in a HT. It may also ask too much of the receiver. You might query the makers of the passive subs you have in mind for their recommendation regarding minimum drive power. A powered sub is never a bad idea, as the internal amp is perfectly matched and frequency compensated for the particular driver employed.

It is generally not as critical matching a subwoofer to speakers made by a different company. The problems arise when using a center speaker made by a different company than made the main left and right ones. The main thing to keep aware of is the respective low frequency roll-offs of your main speakers, and if that will mesh well with the high frequency roll-off of the sub. Again, the manufacturers can give specific info about this.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited January 11, 2003).]

#7131 - 01/11/03 02:26 AM Re: passive or powered?
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
soundman,
Thanks for the reply! Yes I'll get a powered sub. As for the speakers, I just have the main L/R speakers - b&w DM604s and I'll be getting b&w DM speakers for the center and rears too, for a 5.1 setup.

#7132 - 01/11/03 11:39 AM Re: passive or powered?
charlie Offline
Desperado

The 1050 has no main in jacks - that is although there are pre-outs you cannot retask an unused amp channel by pulling a jumper. I'd recommend eithe a powered unit (sounds like you're already going that route) or an external amp and a passive. The new Outlaw 200 should be good, or there are lots of suitable amps out there.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 347 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM