lip sync usage

Posted by: gooomz

lip sync usage - 02/18/07 01:45 PM

i just getting to know my 970 and i know what lip sync does, but is anyone using it for watching cable TV, DVD, or games? in which source is lip sync most noticable and is it even that apparent?
Posted by: gonk

Re: lip sync usage - 02/18/07 03:47 PM

The lip sync is only needed if something in the video signal path (DVD player or HD cable box, or the TV itself) applies some video processing that produces a delay in the video signal. I have the highest lip sync audio delay applied to my HD cable box, with a small delay on my DVD player. Basically, if you haven't noticed it, then you don't need to use it.

Re: lip sync usage - 02/18/07 04:02 PM

thanks gonk. you guys are really helpful. angelo

Re: lip sync usage - 03/28/07 08:31 AM

gonk, just curious as to what exact lip sync delay do you have set to your cable box and dvd player. thanks. angelo.

Re: lip sync usage - 03/28/07 09:09 AM

I've got around 40 or 50ms for my cable box, although I keep meaning to tinker with it a bit more. I've only got about 10ms or 15ms of delay on the DVD player - just a little tweak, basically.

Re: lip sync usage - 03/28/07 02:51 PM

thanks
Posted by: Arky

Re: lip sync usage - 03/28/07 10:52 PM

Gonk, question please.
Sometimes when watching UofA football/basketball I would rather listen to radio announcers instead of the tv announcers. The radio is about 2 seconds fast. I believe the manual says lip sync doesn't apply to the tuner. Thought you might know some other work around.
Thanks

Re: lip sync usage - 03/28/07 11:05 PM

Yep - difference between television broadcast and (less complex) radio broadcast... Two seconds is going to be hard to compensate for - the maximum lip sync delay is only 0.2 seconds.

One slightly crazy idea comes to mind: get a digital recorder of some sort that can record radio broadcasts and simultaneously play, start recording the radio broadcast, and then immediately start playing it back. In theory, you can get the two roughly synchronized with a little tinkering. You might also see if the radio station broadcasts online and see if the web streaming runs any slower than the over-the-air broadcast.

Re: lip sync usage - 03/29/07 01:20 AM

LOL! My friends & I have tried similar in our golf cars. 2 of the same cd, 2 different players that don't start at the same time, virtually impossible.
You're thinking outside the box though. Same problem with sat vs. cable, 2 second lag. I guess that's how long it takes to beam up then back down.
Thanks
Posted by: garcianc2003

Re: lip sync usage - 03/29/07 07:07 AM

This seems rather drastic but they do make TIVO-like devices that will record radio, like this Radio Shark 2 . I believe you should be able to introduce delay to the radio signal that way.

Re: lip sync usage - 03/29/07 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arky:
You're thinking outside the box though.
Gotta get out of that box from time to time... wink

Re: lip sync usage - 03/29/07 10:50 PM

LOL.

2003, that link is kinda interesting.